Worried new corn snake owner **1st post**

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by bhuynh, Sep 4, 2007.

1. bhuynh

bhuynh Embryo

I am a first time corn snake owner, and have done alot of research before I purchased my sunglow cs. My hatchling is approximately 3 months old, 18 inches long and as thick as a pencil. I have him in a 10 gallon tank with aspen substrate, UTH located beneath the hut. I use a 60 watt daylight (blue) buld and a 40 watt nighttime (red) bulb. The ambient air is monitored around 75-83F while the substrate temp is 79-85F.

Attached is a pic of my setup:
    [​IMG]

My concern is that my sunglow refuses to eat. He nearly dodges the pinky and curls in the corner of his feeding tank. The last time he has eaten was August 23 (current date Sept 4). I've had my corn snake for just over a week and am assuming he is still getting use to his new surroundings, which may be the reason for his weak appetite. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've talk to the reptile store which I bought him, and they suggested not touching or playing with him for 3-5days allowing him to settle in. I will be attempting to feed him again on Thursday (2 weeks from the last time he ate).

My second concern is that he hides beneath the drift wood 24hours a day or at lease I have never seen him while awake, and I tend to stay up until 2-3am (summer break). I searched and found that being nocturnal cs come out at night, but I do not even see my snake then. Should he be hiding that much and is it healthy for him, since he's not receiving any exercise?

here's a pic of my cornsnake Pyro:
    [​IMG]

thanks in advance for any info/advice

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Corny_Noob

Corny_Noob Member

Snakes are secretive creatures and he's in a new home. This is snake 101 they're not social creatures.
    When did you try to feed him? Constand feeding attempts will do nothing but stress the snake out more.
    If he's going to be on an every 5 day feeding schedule then wait 5 days before each attempt.

Next time try leaving your snake alone with the pinkie over night, and wrap something around the feeding container to keep it dark and secure.

After that the next efforts are:
    Braining or slitting the pinkie to release aromas.
    Washing the pinkie in soap and drying before giving to the snake.
    Scenting with reptiles or tuna.

Given that this snake has already eatten it's very likely that you will never have to exhaust any of these other options.
    Just let the baby settle in.

Edit: Also nice set up but my question is, not the substrate tempature but what is the tempature on the actual glass? As you've already seen snakes are secretive and often they will burrow, knowing the highest temp on the glass is what's most important. And if your snake has any acess to climbing up higher to make sure you move the lamp off of the screen, I guarentee you it's hotter and it could burn the snake. You'd be amazed how they manage to shimmy themselves up there.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bhuynh

bhuynh Embryo

I attempted to feed him on Aug 29, Aug 30 followed by Sept 2. I wasn't aware that attempting to feed a cornsnake would stress them out even more. I have since opened my aquarium besides changing the water, misting the tank and checking the temperature. The next time I will attempt to feed him will be Aug 6 exactly 2 weeks from his last meal and 5 days from the last time I have taken him out of his tank.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Corny_Noob

Corny_Noob Member

Certainly hold off on handling him untill he starts eatting normally.
    Also I would invest in some screen clips, you'd be suprised what they manage to escape out of.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Corny_Noob

Corny_Noob Member

Oops I just now noticed that it was lifted off of the screen, kudos for you bad on me sorry.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jayhawkbruce

jayhawkbruce Member

I house my 3 month old blizzard phase corn, Storm, in a 10 gallon with reptibark. I don't have anyscreen clips; I'll get some eventually. I stacks some book son the lid. I have nothing but a UTH heating the enlosure. The stick on glass thermometer at substrate level always reads about 86-82 F. Storm spends most of her time on the cool side and sometimesclimbs to the top and sits between the lip of the tank and the screen lid! I don't think it's to warfor her, Ithink she just wants to escape! Don't worry about you snake hiding. Storm constantly buries herself in the reptibark. Also, they come out at night primarily to feed. If your snake knows it's in a tank and doesn't smell food,it probably has no reason to venture out from cover. Smallsnakes get to be big snakes in the wild by staying hidden. I've only seen mine out atnight twice in the 3weeks that i'vehad her. Good luck on Thursday!

12. Corny_Noob

Corny_Noob Member

I would just like to point out that stick on thermometers are known for being wildly inaccurate and you should also look into investing for a good digital thermometer just like pictured in the first post :)

13. bAlLinLiKeAbOa

bAlLinLiKeAbOa Member

You have nothing to be worrying about, that is completely normal for a new baby snake to do, and especially if you just got him. Just hold off, don't stress him out and wait a bit, then start to offer food slowly.

14. bhuynh

bhuynh Embryo

the stick on liquid crystal thermometer is just there for a rough estimate. My g/f bought it for me without knowing whether it was good or not. The yellow thermometer right above is a zoomed digital thermometer with temperature probe. I've been using the probe to recieve all of my temperature data. I'm debating on whether to use the nightime (red) bulb during the evening. As I have the UTH on all the time and since I am sleeping I can't monitor the temp. Does anyone use the nighttime buld, or do you just turn off all lights. I did a test yesterday without the nighttime bulb and the ambient air was 73.4F in the morning (keep in mind the heat pad is always on). I'm just afraid my snake is too afraid to venture out of his hiding spot even if he is cold.

**sorry for so many noob questions**

Edit: oops don't mind my thermometer rant lol, I was not aware that the comment was NOT directed towards me.

15. Corny_Noob

Corny_Noob Member

lol s'ok The ambient temp without the bulb is perfectly fine, if it's getting much hotter than that your ambient temp is actually too high then.
    Whether or not you see them use it they need that cool side just a much as they need that warm side.

16. bhuynh

bhuynh Embryo

thanks for the info. My CS doesn't seem to have moved in the pass 4 days ,as I tend to check to see if he is infact still in the aquarium and he remains in the exact same position (head, body, and tail). I will be attempting to feed him tomorrow, wish me luck. I'll keep everyone updated. I'll try and leave him in the feeding tank overnight with the pinky with a nightbulb.

17. Corny_Noob

Corny_Noob Member

Just keep in mind for the most part they are nocturnal :( so untill your corn settles in and becomes braver you will likely only be seeing it at weird hours of the night.

And good lucky!

18. bhuynh

bhuynh Embryo

UPDATE: I actually saw Pyro out of his hiding spot today after school. He was curled up by his water bowl which suggest it was too hot for him. I turned off his daylight and immediately he went into hiding. I feel alot better knowing he does in fact venture out of his hiding spot, even when I'm not around. I decided to hold off on feeding him until Saturday since it has only been 4 days since the last time I attempted to feed him. I also had some spare time and did a little progect. I cut some black fabric and attached velcrow strips allowing me to wrap it around his tank during the evening and another strip for his feeding tank providing him with privacy.

19. Herp__Kid

Herp__Kid Member

i don't think you need the uth and the bulb. thats just me though

20. jayhawkbruce

jayhawkbruce Member

i agree, i think its overkill

21. bhuynh

bhuynh Embryo

i'm monitoring the substrate and it ranges between 78-86F. The ambient air is always slightly cooler ranging from 75-82F. Would you suggest removing the UTH or just eliminating the lights all together. I don't really want to change anything just yet as my corn seems to finally be settling in.

22. CalasCorns

CalasCorns Member

Just to be an overly correct dork, cornsnakes are actually crepuscular, not nocturnal. Of course that's neither here nor there....

To answer some of your questions,

Firstly, I would kill the bulbs. With a UTH there's really no need to have bulbs going 24/7 unless your room is in the 50's or something crazy. Also, that daylight bulb being on from something like 8am-8pm can be rather stressful.

The petstore actually told you right. It's best with hatchlings to leave them completely be for a week or so after a purchase/shipping. They were just uprooted from their 'known' surrounding into something completely new, and it stresses them out. They're still unsure if they are going to be eaten, so they're not about to eat right off the bat. Two weeks is nothing---relax.

How are you attempting to feed him? In a separate container? Inside the viv? How are you heating the mouse? Are you heating the pink up enough? Was the pet store feeding live or frozen thawed?

Finally, corns don't 'exercise'. They're not like fat people who need to go out and run to lose weight. Constant moving around requires energy, and that requires more food. Food for cornsnakes in the wild isn't an every week at 8pm thing, and even your lil hatchling still has those instincts. So they're not always on the move 24/7, and many a times will stay curled up under a log all day until they start to become more active around dusk. Nothing abnormal going on with yours, just be patient.

23. bhuynh

bhuynh Embryo

I tried feeding him again today. It has been 6 days since my previous attempt and I left him alone for those days. Only opening the cover to change his water and misting the tank. Today he seemed interested in the pinky but once again did not take it. I will try leaving him in his feeding tank over night with a nightbul and towel covering the tank for privacy. He is currently hiding in a hide I put in there for him. The pinky remains on the other end of the feeding tank.

To answer your question: I feed him in a seperate tank. I tried taunting Pyro with the pinky slitting it to realse aromas. I heat the pink by placing it in a bag and putting the bag in hot water until the pinky is unthawed. The pet store was feeding him frozed mice as well.

UPDATE: I left him in the feeding tank for 2 hours with the pinky and still no luck. He also left a discharge that i'm not sure what it was. It was somewhat creamy with little chunks in it. Did he regurgitate or was that feces mixed with urine? On the bright side once I put him back in the viv he drank lots of water.

Anyone have any suggestions? I plan on leaving him alone once again and trying to feed him in another 5 days.

24. bhuynh

bhuynh Embryo

WORRIED -------> FRUSTRATED

I tried once again to feed Pyro, and for the 4th time he refused to eat. I even brained the mouse and he turned it away. This is now exactly 3 weeks from the last time he ate. I tried following everyones suggestions but nothing has worked. I'm going to take him to the reptile shop so they can force feed him. If that doesn't work i'll throw him in the snow....no, not really but damn am I ever getting frustrated.

25. cosmosnake

cosmosnake New Member

RE: WORRIED -------> FRUSTRATED

3 weeks is nothing...relax.