worried about uth burns

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by uaxhuh, Nov 4, 2007.

1. uaxhuh

uaxhuh New Member

hey ive got a concern, my baby argentine black and white digs and burrows a LOT (duh), and im worried that when he burrows to the bottom of the glass tank he'll stay directly on the uth for too long, causing him injury. any advice on this? should i even be worried? and if i should be, what can i do?

thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Varanus99

Varanus99 New Member

I dont like UTHs for monitors/tegus at all. Actually I dont like them for any lizard to be honest. But for monitors/tegus I find them really ineffective and potentially dangerous.

I prefer to just use lights for heat. If the room the lizard is in gets too cold at night then just leave the lights on 24/7. Or if you want to give them a night cycle use red bulbs. Just about every burn Ive ever seen on a lizard has come from an under belly heat source. They dont seem to understand these as well as they do an overhead heat source. I use some very high basking temps for my lizards and Ive never had one get burned. They simply move away from the heat when they want to.

Also another thing to consider is a drop in temp at night is fine. Its normal. As long as the lizard has access to the proper temps during the day he should be fine. Unless, as I said, the room is absolutely freezing.

Also when a lizard burrows hes not trying to get warm. Thats what basking is for. So at least in my opinion providing heat underground is a little confusing to the lizard. A heated hide is fine but Id keep that above ground.

If you insist on using the UTH I would check it with a thermometer or temp gun to make sure its not getting too hot. Most of the commonly available ones simply get too hot. But even if its not getting too hot Id still just stick with lights.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Reptikeeps101

Reptikeeps101 New Member

no i wouldnt worry to much about that. they are smart enough. If they want to lay on top of it they will decide to. if they think its too hot they wont go on it. Let them make their own choice

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. uaxhuh

uaxhuh New Member

yea ive temp gunned the uth directly and it gets HOT through the glass. thats why i had this concern. and man i wish i had been told this before i bought the damn uth...

anyways, thanks guys

more opinions/responses are still welcome though

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Varanus99

Varanus99 New Member

There's a couple simple things you can do if the temp is too hot.

Probably the best way is to get a rheostat ot dimmer switch and connect that to the heat mat. Then just dial it down until you have the temp you want. Home Depot sells a very simple dimmer that require no wiring. You just plug the dimmer into the wall and the mat into the dimmer. Then you play with the dial and using your temp gun you can calibrate the temperature. I think it costs like 6 bucks but I could be off on that havent bought one for a very long time.

Another way, although not as accurate, is to not connect the mat directly to the cage. Leave a little space in between. That will reduce the amount of heat it throws inside the cage. Depending on your set up this may not be possible but it's another option. Just dont lay it directly on wood that could be a fire hazard. Ive heard of people making a sandwich out of sheet metal and putting the mat inside that. Another option.