Woodworm investing my iguana tank!

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by Iggy_lover_456, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Iggy_lover_456

Iggy_lover_456 Embryo

I was wondering if anyone could help me with my recent probelm about my iguanas tank.
    You see I have owned my iguana for about 8 months now (since christmas) and everytime I buy wood for her tank it keeps getting invested with what seems to be woodworm.
    Everytime this has occured I hav thrown the peice of wood out and completely cleaned the tank and everything inside it with bleach.
    What I wanted to know was
    - Would the woodworm go out of the tank (as I never shut the door) and go into furniture and skirting boards?
    - Would the woodworm coming into the tank be my fault or the pet shop that I buy the wood from?
    - What would be an alternitive climbing material instead of wood
    - and what can I do to prevent this happening in the furture?

Hopefully someone can help me!
    Thanks Liana and Yoda (my iguana)[/list]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. msdnhy

msdnhy Embryo

Did u figure out a solution?? I am having a similar issue with a piece of wood I purchased from the store. The bugs are black, fat, and fly. Is this woodworm? Do they hurt iguanas?? How should I treat the piece of wood?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Iggy_lover_456

Iggy_lover_456 Embryo

yes i sorted it out. that sounds like what i had which is infact woodworm like you suspected. luckily they don't harm iguanas but can invest your house so check your wooden furniture for any holes. You have to clean your tank out with a solution of bleach and water. Also to get rid of the woodworm on the wood you can put the wood in your freezer for 24 hours but if the woodworm have laid eggs somewhere in your house then the chances are the wood might get woodworm again thats why I don't use wood for my iguana but use a plastic habba hut and polystrene tubing for her to climb on.
    hope this helped! tell me if it works for you!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. msdnhy

msdnhy Embryo

Thanks I will have to try that because I baked the wood yesterday and still have seen a few here and there in his tank. I think they may have been hiding in his substrate. Thanks for the help. msdnhy