Wood bd cage

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by c_roy, Feb 23, 2005.

1. c_roy

c_roy New Member

Hi im planning on building a wooden bearded dragon cage very soon, but i have a few questions. My plans are to build the sides and back and floor from wood, screen top and plexiglass front with hinges so they can swing open.
    My questions are

1- any special type of wood to use?
    2 - any tips on building it?
    3 - after it is build should i seal it, and if so with what?
    4 - after it is build should i line all the cracks with silicone?
    5 - and is it safe to put a backround inside the tank so you dont see wood with the temps of 100-105f ?

Those are pretty much it and if you guys have any other suggestions they would be appreciated

-Thanks, Ryan

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. FrickFrack

FrickFrack New Member

Hey c_roy

1 - it's really up to you what wood you use...I have framed cages with 2x2's and then used nice paneling to cover it in. You can also just use 1/2 inch plywood or malamine (spelling) and cut the pcs to size and screw them together with no frame required...here is a link to a design using the malamine method...

http://www.tncbeardies.com/Lair%20Drawings.htm

2 - use your imagination and the skys the limit...there are no rules to cage building

3 - I only used sealant on a custom rockwall cage to cover the mortar and tile grout to protect from chipping and for ease of cleaning...I don't think it's required if you just have wood walls with decorations (rocks/driftwood)

4 - I would seal all the cracks with silicone for a couple reasons...to keep sand in (if you use it) and to keep crix in (if you feed in there) and most of all to keep heat in

5 - Backgrounds are fine as long as its not touching the bulb or really close anyway

Have fun

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. c_roy

c_roy New Member

Hey man thanks this will help me out a lot, only one more question, What type of silicone do you use? is there a special type that wont be harmful to animals? or do you just use regular silicone and let it sit for a few days first? I dont intend on using sand and dont feed inside the cage, but i would like to seal the edges anyway.

-Thanks a lot, Ryan

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Mike89

Mike89 Member

You can just use clear silicone from Home Depot, the stuff that is used for sealing stuf in bathrooms is what i used.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. FrickFrack

FrickFrack New Member

I used just regular silicone...just make sure its "Adhesive". if you just get regular rubber silicone like used on tubs it won't stick to the wood very well...I think the type I used was by "GE"

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ReptiMom

ReptiMom New Member

I'm building a tortoise cage out of 1/2" plywood. I got the plan online and it called for 1.5" wood screws. But when I try to use them it keeps splitting the wood. I've been using it on the spare pieces first not on the actual cages parts. I even drilled the holes too and it still splits the wood. I was told that I could try using nails but that overtime they tend to loosen. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might help keep the wood from splitting. Should I just use the nails? Thanks for the info...
    Rachel

12. napolean951

napolean951 New Member

What was the thickness of the wood you were screwing into. If you are screwing into an area that does not have enought width, the wood will split. I think the 1.5 inch screws are a bit overkill. All you would really need is 1 inch.

13. spurs

spurs New Member

Have you tried a Nail Gun to put the bits of wood togeather?

Hope I helped. :D
    Spurs

14. nakedjellybean

nakedjellybean New Member

1" screws into 1/2" plywood should be fine. Also try to find a thin screw. They make different "grades" of screws that would work in 1/2" wood. If you deside to go with nails then I would also glue it and nail it, that will help hold it all together.

15. ReptiMom

ReptiMom New Member

Thanks for all your help. I did exchange the wood screws for the 1" size. They are holding up nice. Now I just have to finish drilling and screwing it all together then I can stain, finish and seal. Hopefully the rest will go together a bit smoother. It has been a rough start. But thanks to you all we are well on our way. My son and his tortoise Raphael say Thanks as well. I'll post a pic when we finish.
    Rachel

16. ReptiMom

ReptiMom New Member

OK I have one last question for you all about sealant on my wooden tortoise box. I'm doing the satin finish over the stain tonight and hoping to do the sealant tomorrow. I bought this brand and I wanted to know if it's good or not. I searched all over the posts and couldn't find anyone who posted the exact brand that they used. This is what I bought. It's made by DAP Dynaflex 230 Premium Elastomeric Latex Sealant Clear. It's an indoor/outdoor, cured caulk is mold & mildew resistant, weatherproof seal, paintable, superior flexibility, easy water clean up. Their was also a silicone base one too. If this one is no good. Can someone recommend a brand that is good. I got this at Home Depot. I can return or exchange if I need to. Thanks for all your help.
    Rachel

17. Advent

Advent Member

.. wood glue?

18. napolean951

napolean951 New Member

Mildew resistant is not very good for your reptile. It contains a poison that keeps spores from sprouting. I would exchange for something that is non-mildew resistant and then paint over it with several coats of latex paint.