Wild grape vine for cage... yes or no?

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Jadelizard, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Jadelizard

Jadelizard Member

My sister went out to the woods behind our house and got a whole bunch of wild grape vines (1-3” round X 7-12 foot long) and I was thinking of getting some for Robin's cage (which is ALMOST finished!!!)

I know the grape vines would be strong enough, heck I swing on them and I weigh 180! I’m thinking of weaving them together or just draping them around the cage. The only thing I’m really worried about is her trying to eat them, thus the reason for my post.

So, do any of you bright individuals with vast reptile knowledge foresee any problems in this venture?

Thanks

Jade

Also, what would be a good hide for an iguana? She’s gotten to the point where she disappears when people come over so I want to give her a good hiding place in the cage.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lacerta

lacerta Member

I have used wild grape vines and other "found" wood in many of my terrariums and vivariums. It should not be a problem as long as a few precautions are taken. Mainly, ensure that they are clean and free of any parasitic mites or other pests. This can be a problem if you have large populations of wild lizards. Honestly, I think that the risk of mites is greater from using store-bought vines or wood from pet stores that may have reptiles infected with mites. Clean with a mild bleach solution to disenfect and then dry thoroughly. Only complication that I have encountered, specifically with grape vine, is I have had woodboring beetles emerge from the wood, sometimes a year or more after being in the cage. These pose no risk.
    George

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Jadelizard

Jadelizard Member

Thanks for the reply.

I soaked the grape vines I gathered over night and have them hanging in the basement to dry. I think they’ll be a nice addition to the cages when it’s completed and I just wanted to make sure it’d be safe.

Thanks again.

Jadelizard

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JStrider

JStrider Member

bake em at a low temp for 15 minutes... that would prolly take care of the beatles

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. madaboutpaddy

madaboutpaddy Member

freeze first for a couple of hours - , soak in a mild bleach solution or rep care cleaner like ark klens - rinse well allow to dry naturally or in a low oven - you will have nuked everything

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Naomi

Naomi New Member

Safe Aerosol

I've been told that if you want to be extra sure that your found wood is parasite/mite free, try spraying it with Callington's "Top of Descent" aircraft insecticide. Its perfectly safe for reptiles and mammals (insects and scorps are a huge NO!). Just make sure to leave it to dry for at least half an hour before putting it in the tank.