Why is monitor changing color?

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by mxracer4life_41, Oct 19, 2005.

1. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

My savannah monitor when I got her she was a greyish brown color. Well, I went to get her out yesterday after work and she was beautiful! She has yellow all over her, with some grey,black brown and its not really in a pattern its just their. Is there any reason why her color would of changed that fast? She shed about a week. I always thought they were generally a grey/brown monitor. I am lost at this point, anyone know what I should think? thanx a lot, later

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. clarinet45

clarinet45 Well-Known Member

mine range from very dark [hiding] and having this great yellow pattern on their belly when basking. generally they have a browish pattern on their back, maybe a little yellow/orange. considerably brighter after a shed, but they cloud right back up for another! too bad the nice pattern goes away as adults ;)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

Ok, just wondering... I had never seen a monitor change colors like that. thanx, later

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. SavannahQueen

SavannahQueen New Member

mine are a grey darkgreen color on their backs while on their tummy one is peachish yellow where the other is off white on his tummy but their legs are a dark green well their feet anyway the grey leads down their legs to green. After a shed prolly 2 days after or so they get really bright but like clarinet said it don't last long but you will see it again by the next shed.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mutt225

mutt225 New Member

yea temps have alot to do with sav colors cooler kinds are more lighter and hotter ones more darker

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. draven_defay

draven_defay New Member

Has to do with temperature and temperament. Kinda. The more they acclimate to their surroundings, the lighter they will get. Dark green ones will bite your ass without a second thought. Gold/Brown=Happy. Green=Gonna eat you.

12. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

So I got me a color coded monitor. Brown means go, green means no, got ya. thanx, later

13. Carrick_Glenn

Carrick_Glenn Embryo

lol u learn something new every post!

14. SavannahQueen

SavannahQueen New Member

I would have to disagree with color and temperment My most tame even when green has never gone crazy and tried to bite me just because he was green. I think it has to do with how well hydrated they are, if they are sick or not, how long ago they shed, among others.

15. draven_defay

draven_defay New Member

If he has the right temperature, setup, etc. he won't be green. He's not necessarily going to bite you, but he is uncomfortable, and therefore, much more likely to. In my experience, non-tame brown will run away, non-tame green will come after you. He may not attack you because he knows you, but something is wrong if he's green. Brighter coloration is usually a sign of good health in all lizards. When beardies are healthy, they will turn all-but gold, dying ones and ones that are mean/treated poorly, will have a much darker tone. I've seen sickly nile monitors turn nearly black, whilst healthy ones have bright spots sll over them, and a much healthier looking tone of black elsewhere.

To clarify what I said, green only necessarily means "no" if he's in a pet shop, or otherwise untamed. It just means he feels like crap in general.

And if you handle a green sav in a pet store, expect to bleed. I always have. Its worth it, just to interact with one of the guys, but its your call.