White's Tree Frog.

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by itStevens, Jul 1, 2012.

1. itStevens

itStevens New Member

I was interested in getting one(not right away but at some point within the next few months) and I was wondering what all goes into caring for one. Is this a good beginner frog? Are there any that are as good or better? Thank in advance everybody!

BONUS QUESTION!!! What brand of calcium do you find is the best? I'm looking for something without d3.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ajlista

ajlista Well-Known Member

I dont know much about frogs, im sorry, but as for calcium, lol i use a cuddle bone, its something for birds, you shave it off with a razor blade and than once you've shaven it, just make sure there are no chunks. It shaves off into a powder so its perfect. Someone here gave me that trick I dont remember who, but it works great!, its cheap, but the downside is when you buy them someplaces only have em in 4 packs, but for like 6 bucks. It saves alot of money and works great.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. supernova

supernova Member

We have six whites (dumpy) tree frogs and they are awesome. They are kept in an all water (no substrate) terrarium with ledges,plastic plants, some bamboo and a waterfall. They are always very green when they are happy. We use a full spectrum light for the bamboo and a ceramic heat emitter along with a fogger so keep them comfy. Also to note, some snails to help lengthen the time between water changes.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Badger711

Badger711 Member

you keep them on all water? how do they hunt? o_O

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Sharman Wisdom

Sharman Wisdom HOTM Winner December

I heard White's tree frog are a good beginner frog, I don't know to much about them but there is a lot of info online. I myself just got a albino Chacoan Horned frog-Ceratophrys cranwelli and a African bullfrog-Pyxicephalus adspersus. They are also a good beginner frogs. I have them in seperate 5 gallon tank, right now they are only froglets, with under tank heating pads, ecoearth which is coconut fiber, shallow water dish, hiding place and light without uvb. I feed them crickets in a plastic container, for some reason they like to eat outside of their tanks.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. supernova

supernova Member

They are all hand fed outside the enclosure, Funny actually, they all sit there on the table lined up next to each other waiting for their food items. :)

12. Badger711

Badger711 Member

Lol, cute.

13. Badger711

Badger711 Member

I exclusively keep White's Tree Frogs, and they are probably the best beginner frog. They are the most tolerant frog to handling, but note that all handling of frogs is generally a bad idea unless completely necessary; the oils on your skin and fingers soak into their permeable skin. You can comfortably keep one to two adult WTF(s) in a 29 gallon aquarium with a screen top. See the care sheet I wrote up Here.