Where To Put The Thermometer & Hygrometer???

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Mescaline, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Mescaline

Mescaline New Member

right now the terrarium is only in testing...

i have my thermometer and hygrometer in the top left corner of my 50 gallon tank, but they dont seem to working at all.

is there a certain place on the tank that is best for placing your thermometer and hygrometer?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

What are you setting the tank up for?
    The best place to put them is where the animal is going to be. For snakes about 1/2-1" above the substrate on the back wall. Even better.... get a digital thermometer (the cheap analog ones from the pet store SUCK!) and put the digital part on the cool side on the floor and the probe on the hot side on the substrate in the center of the tank.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Mescaline

Mescaline New Member

im setting up for green tree frogs, and other tree frogs eventually. i do have analog ones though.......

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JStrider

JStrider Member

i would put the thermometer on the hottest part of the cage they can get to... use one of those ones with the long wired probe

and the hygrometer i would put near the highest area of humidity...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Mescaline

Mescaline New Member

wouldnt this alter the readings? cause the highest area of humidity is obviously where the water section of my terrarium is, but this doesnt mean that on the other side of the terrarium is the same humidity.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Mescaline

Mescaline New Member

also another question is, would it be harmful to place the thermomete and hygrometer inside the tank???

this would definatly give me more accurate readings

12. JStrider

JStrider Member

as long as it wasnt introducing any chemicals or something they might eat it should be fine...

i use a temperature probe for my leo enclosure... just stick it right on top of the warm spot