When my iguana laid eggs again!?

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by Louis, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Louis

Louis Embryo

I have a 3 years old iguana and yesterday laid 41 eggs! Anyone knows when she will have eggs again and when i must put her together with my male ig!?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Louis

Louis Embryo

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

hey there louis!

i'd like to ask about the diet of your iguanas, first. in case you don't know, they should have about 75%
    greens (collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, and dandelion greens are best) and about
    25% chopped fruits and veggies (papaya, mango, apple, banana, squash, peas, berries, and kiwi are
    great). spinach should only be a rare treat (it's calcium-binding) and romaine lettuce and ice
    berg lettuce are 95% water - not very nutritious at all.

also, it seems like you are happy that the iguana has laid eggs and i hate to burst your bubble BUT
    i would encourage you to *not* breed them. iguanas are one of the most commonly abused,
    neglected, and abandoned reptiles. the last thing we need is more babies. if you're into breeding
    herps, that is totally cool, but i would have to encourage you to do some research first and come
    up with some other herp that is a little less common and a little less often abused. or you could try
    to start a reptile rescue or local reptile club of some sort. before you breed your iguanas, think
    long and hard about how many people you know who would buy the babies and actually be
    able/willing to give them good homes. good luck!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Louis

Louis Embryo

Hi Humminqbird!
    I like to tell you that about my iguana`s diet i study a lot and i feed them very very good and healthy!
    I am leaving in Cyprus and in here we don`t find iguanas very easy! I will not find 40-50 "good" houses to give the babies!? I want very much to have the feeling of the breeding!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

Louis,

Part of the feeling for the breeding is to make arrangements that the female has a laying area prepared for her that is what she needs, this poor girl looks like she finally just dropped them and thank heavens she did, too often they become egg bound when a lay area or box is not prepared for them.

She may lay more and she might not, there is no way to tell for sure, but prepare a laying bin for her in the future so she does not have to struggle and then end up dropping them.

Iguana's antural instinct is to dig, lay them and cover them, they are usually very fussy about that. Normally they will guard the covered nest for several hours after and you need to make sure her calcium is increased when she is gravid, it takes alot of calcium from her system to shell that many eggs.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

i would make absolutely sure that you have enough good homes for them *before* you breed them. best of luck with whatever you decide.

12. Louis

Louis Embryo

hi CheriS
    This eggs in the picture is the first 3-4! The rest of them it was in the box i prepare for her with sand! I dont tell you that i know everything about iguana but i know a lot of!
    I know that she will produce eggs in the same season next year but i dont know when i have to put her together with my male ig!
    Anyone knows!?