whats a good size 4 a tank 4 a Iguana

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by rezon, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Here's two of our outdoor enclosures..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

i h8 u axe . . .

:D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lturbott

lturbott Member

Thank you HB. I have told him he should do that also, maybe if he sees someone else say it he will believe me. :D And Axe, those are very nice!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

hopefully he will - he has a lot of talent

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. rezon

rezon New Member

nice set ups

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. iturbott

iturbott Embryo

Thanks for the compliments on the enclosure. Maybe I could make a few, I am redesigning them right now to make them lighter and portable.
    I need a few more as we will be starting a rescue center of our own soon.
    Both my Iguanas and my first one were rescues.
    Nice cages Axe, do your reptiles live in them seasonaly, daily or all the time?

For Rezon, for an Iguana, the cage I have now will only be good for a couple of years as it is only 4 x 4 x 2, it was built for a juvenile Iggy, at the moment it houses Serafin, we got her a week ago and she is about 16" s-v, her tail is short due to damage sometime a few years ago.

She needs a much bigger house and that will be coming very soon. It will be at least 6 x 6 x 4. It will be a take down cage so if we move, I can get it out of the house.

Ideally, you could go with a setup a person we know has in Knoxville,Tn. They have a screen porch just for the Iguanas. At 7', Zeus, the mature female they have needs it.
    I will be uploading the basic plans I have to my wife and I's site so people can use them. The details are ok, you just need to work out your own dimensions.

12. rezon

rezon New Member

thanks 4 the tips when i move to florida i have some big plans i ownt 4 acuers out there so i wanna make a section 4 all my animals

13. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

They live out there pretty much year-round, barring any extreme weather problems. If it starts getting cold, they get temporary accomodation inside the house, and they're in the house still right now (we brought them in when Charley was headed our way). They'll be going back out there either today or tomorrow probably.

But yeah, short of harmful weather conditions, they're out there year-round. Usually they only spend about 2-3 weeks per year in the house.

14. rezon

rezon New Member

how is everything ou there with charley?

15. iggylover#1

iggylover#1 Embryo

actually i read in alot of didf places to start with a big enclosure isnt good if u want to raise a gentle lovin iguana

16. rezon

rezon New Member

i was planing on building a big one right off to start with i was thinkin about buildin a 6HX3W9L

17. lturbott

lturbott Member

I have never heard that personally. They need a large space to be able to move without the chance of hurting their tails. It is possible for them to snap it and that would not be good. The gentle loving iguana comes from taking time to handle and spend a LOT of quality time with him/her. The size of the cage wouldn't affect that as far as I could see.

18. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

rezon: Where we are, it didn't hit anywhere near as hard as we were expecting it to. We actually got off pretty lucky, but a lot of friends in Orlando didn't do too well, and the Daytona show was hit pretty hard too. But, in true tradition, the show must go on, and it did. Was great getting together with people there, and seeing some of the rarer animals (saw my first Shingleback Skink this year - a friend of mine had bought it).

iggylover: A large cage is essential if you have an adult female, and don't want to risk losing her to eggbinding (the most common cause of death in adult female iguanas). With male iguanas, 99% of them will be nuts regardless of the size of their enclosure.

19. rezon

rezon New Member

hey axe its good to hear everythings good cuz i have family in tampa and so does my cusin his father lost his house but it was b4 charley. . . next year i might move out to tampa

also u think the full size tank would be good 4 a baby iguana 6HX3W9L pertty damn i used a mesering tape today takes up a nice space in my house would that be bad 4 a baby iggy?

20. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

oh yea you iggy will love an enclosure that size. it wont be bad at all because it will grow into it an love it. as long as it knows where its food is it will be fine and in an enclosure that size you should be able to build a little soaking area for it to.

21. rezon

rezon New Member

yea thsts wha i had planed this is wha i wass lookin foward to do but when i start planing ima give it shape and all that as i progress i will up date u all

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/demdimplesun...p;.dnm=e1b6.jpg
    i post the full pic as soon as i get it done

but come o tthink of it its gonna be so big 4 a baby iggy lol hes gonna get lost lol

22. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

that looks awsome so far and as for the getting lost thing...keep and eye on him lol na in reality he will most likely stay up on the highest point in the enclosure.

23. rezon

rezon New Member

would it be ok 4 me 2 keep 2 of them in there?

24. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

it should be good for two juvies but when they get older i dont think it will. but many iguanas do not enjoy the company of other iguanas.so if you get 2 make sure you keep a good eye on them