What wattage heat bulb for 75-gallon, And ? about MV bulb

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Kitsune79, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Kitsune79

Kitsune79 New Member

I have heard a few different opinions on what wattage bulb I will need to heat my 75-gallon Bearded Dragon tank.
    Some say 100-watt should be enough, some say 150/160, and then yesterday someone told me for that size tank I should go with 250 watt.

Also I wanted to know-
    I will be using a 48" fluorescent reptisun 10.0 for the UVB/UVA light.
    But I was wondering if for the first year or 2 I should also use one of those Mercury Vapor Heat combination bulbs instead of a plain basking bulb while the BD is growing, or would that be *too* much UVB when used along with a fluorescent?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Mike89

Mike89 Member

RE: What wattage heat bulb for 75-gallon, And ? about MV bul

In my opinion a 160 Watt MVB from reptileuv.com (the SB series produces heat as well as UVB) should heat the tank well on its own.....maybe a 60-100 watt on teh cool side......it is really a trial and error process though.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Kitsune79

Kitsune79 New Member

K thanks!

Is it ok to use both the fluorescent reptisun 10.0 AND the mercury vapor though at the same time? Or can you only use 1 source of UVA/UVB rays?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Mike89

Mike89 Member

A lot of UV is just as bad as not enough. Probably not the best idea to use both.....unless they are on oppostie sides of the tank.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. AustraliaGuy89

AustraliaGuy89 New Member

I have a thermometer that says my dragon's basking zone is apprx. 105*F from about a foot away with a 60 watt. bulb! I see all these pics of Bearded Dragons very close to the bulb and hear of higher wattage. Any suggestions?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Mike89

Mike89 Member

What size tank is it? What is it made of?

12. Kitsune79

Kitsune79 New Member

Also what kind o thermometer do you use b/c if it's not a digital tehrmometer, chances are you are getting inaccurate temp. readings

13. AustraliaGuy89

It's a 55 gallon tank. I have one of those circular thermometers that sticks to the wall. I don't think it's too cold because I see him stay under it and start to pant, so I think it's warm enough. I just wondered why I have a far distance and low wattage?

14. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

Oooooh, those dial-type thermometers are known to be pretty far off at times. 10-15 degrees, sometimes even more.
    You really should get a digitial thermometer with a little probe so you know exactly what the temps are.

15. AustraliaGuy89

Where do they sell them? Pet stores? Lowes? and how much? I'll really try and get one! I'm really tight on money because my Dragon is being treated for a respiratory problem. Thanks for the all the help!

16. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

Walmart, Target, and Radio Shack are good places. Lowes may have them, too. Any indoor/outdoor therm with a little probe works perfectly. They go for about $15.

17. AustraliaGuy89

Alsome! My brother works at Target I can see if he can pick me up one. Thanks a ton!

18. Kitsune79

Kitsune79 New Member

I got my ESU digital thermometer at Petsmart for only $7.99
    I have been testing it now in the tank, as well as random areas around the house to make sure it reads right and so far it is accurate.