What to do if you believe your anole is pregnant?

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by dinosaur_bones, Jan 3, 2007.

1. dinosaur_bones

dinosaur_bones Embryo

Hi there everyone, my name is Laura and I'm new here.

I rescued an anole that was mistreated from someone's home in August, and last month my mother purchased another for me. They've been doing great, but a few days ago I saw them "entangled" with each other, and realized I have no idea what to do if the female is indeed pregnant. Are there any special precautions I need to make? What do I do with the eggs if there's no hope for them?

Oh and also, when one of them sheds, the other seems to "help" with the process, and I'm not sure but they might be eating it. Is this normal?

Ahh, thank you for any help, and I'm terribly sorry if I seem inexperienced!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. anolefreek11

anolefreek11 Embryo

hey laura

if your female lays eggs your gunna want to remove them and place them in a seperate tank...but becareful wen moving them eggs should be kept in the same position you found them in or it may disturb the process... u really dont need an incubator just make sure the temps are the same as the ones ur anoles are currently living in

and for the shedding it is very common for them to eat their own sheds and that is nothing to worry about...good luck....

oooh another thing u just seen the two anoles on top of eachother or what...did the male show his dewlap and bob his head up in down?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

What substrate are you using? If an anole is pregnant, she likes to find a suitable place to lay her eggs.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. dinosaur_bones

dinosaur_bones Embryo

To anolefreek, thanks for all the info. The way I saw my anoles entangled was rather quiet and still, with the male one on top of the female. At least that's what I think, the male has shown his dewlap before and the female has a large white stripe down her back and is a bit smaller, without those bumps right behind her tail.

To luke, I am just using that TerraCarpet, it's very easy to clean and maintain.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Just a suggestion, but if your female is pregnant, then maybe you could provide a tupperware container with some coco-fiber substrate or moss for your anole to lay eggs if she IS pregnant. She may become very stressed trying to find a suitable place to "lay" or bury her eggs on carpet. Im not saying the substrate isn't suitable, because its great, just a suggestion to provide a box with some more "diggable" substrate for laying :p

It would also be easier for you to remove the eggs without potentially "disturbing" what is inside :)

Good luck, hope this helps, Luke

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. dinosaur_bones

dinosaur_bones Embryo

Thank you very much for your help luke! I have a pond on my property, so can I use moss from my land?

12. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

I'd be wary of using anything from 'outside' - chance of bacterial infestation etc.
    If you really want to, boil or bake in the oven to kill whatever is lurking in there.

13. anolefreek11

anolefreek11 Embryo

yea spot is right...but regular soil will be fine if she is laying eggs...she st needs a spot to bury them so yea...i want my female to have babies lol...but yea in my setup i just have paper towel on the bottom but wen i think she is pregnant i have a 10 gal setup already just incase...but good luck hopefully the babies will be healthy...oooh and try to get sum picks of them if you get any

14. dinosaur_bones

dinosaur_bones Embryo

Thanks guys! If it's a success, I will def post pics!

15. Drache613

Drache613 Well-Known Member

Hello

Hello,

I would like to see pictures of the babies too, if they hatch out. Are you remembering to keep them warm as well, around 85 or so for incubation?

Tracie

16. dinosaur_bones

dinosaur_bones Embryo

RE: Hello

I haven't spotted any eggs yet Tracie, I'll keep everyone posted on the progress. Hopefully everything works out!