what species is this, anyone?

Discussion in 'Australian Forum' started by tf, Feb 12, 2006.

1. tf

tf Embryo

[​IMG]

Found this in the yard and i am having difficulty determining the species. it is about 30 cm long and was found in armidale, NSW. it has a very thin faint yellow eye strip and the eyes appear to be a dark red.

tf

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. norgan

norgan New Member

looks like a brown snake or taipan to me, but i'm not really a snake expert.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Mikey13

Mikey13 New Member

was thinking the same myself, what kind of area was it found in? like ur backyard or in a reserve etc

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. tf

tf Embryo

it was a whip snake. we relocated it out the back yard...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. GermanJuggernaught

GermanJuggernaught New Member

whips are in florida i thought, oops those are racer whips... brown whip maybe? i dunno, im much more a python guy if any snake at all

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. thepogona

thepogona Member

I was going to say taipan or collett's if it were venomous. But that makes sense.

12. earlsta

earlsta New Member

dude, if you go to collect that, make sure you have a phone in you're other hand, because you'd wanna call the ambulance fast if that bites you.
    I'm pretty sure its a taipan, probally a coastal one.
    deadliest snake in the world, be carefull, im not a snake expert, but taipans i see a lot on tv (documentarys) call a snake handler to get it, its deadly.

13. igot_dragon

igot_dragon New Member

Deadliest snake in the world? Not likely... but the taipan does have the most potent venom for any land snake, only the true sea snake has a stronger venom.

14. earlsta

earlsta New Member

taipans are the deadliest, they are fierce snakes that attack when aren't even provoked too much, trust me I've seen them being handled by snake professionals on documentaries here in australia. The expert snake handlers do not take their eyes of the thing when their around it, they even say it's the worst part of the job, handling a taipan, you just need to walk past it and it can bite you.

15. norgan

norgan New Member

the inland taipan or feirce snake is black and has the deadliest venom although is easily startled and doesn;t bight as quick as some so they say it's not the "most dangerous" but yeah stay away from it. it looks more like some other taipan to me, not a tiger but maybe a taipan of some sort, either way it will be quite poisonous and very dangerous to have around your house, i'd go with the snake handler option, or try wires.

16. thepogona

thepogona Member

they're #3 in the world, that's all I remember.

17. CornyGuy

CornyGuy Well-Known Member

Taipans?? They're number 1. They have the most toxic venom, but they are not considered the *most dangerous*. That would be the Black Mamba or the King Cobra.

To me, it looks like a Inland Taipan or an Eastern Brown.

18. africancichlidau

africancichlidau Embryo

You are all wrong, the Gardenia Nylexius is the deadliest!