What lizard is for me?

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by kingrob, Nov 23, 2004.

1. kingrob

kingrob New Member

i want a small ( up to 10-12 inches) lizard to fit into a 15gallon .... i want a sand subtrate because i think it looks the best.... and opinions on what animal i should get?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. LIZZARLUVVER

LIZZARLUVVER Embryo

none such exists sorry. You could get a leopard gecko they get up to 9 inches but NO SAND it causes impaction use duck brand non adhesive shelf liner which is sold at walmart. leopard geckos are very friendly, cute, easy to care for, and fit into a 15 gallon i think this is the lizard for you and check out this sites leopard gecko caresheets they are very good. but remember no sand, it can kill. oh and no mealworms as food either. welcome to the world of lizards :D (plays jarrassic park opening theme)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

you can use washed playsand for ADULT leopard geckos, but baby leos should be housed on paper towels.

Leopard geckos can handle mealworms just fine too. They've a much stronger digestion system than bearded dragons, which is why beardies shouldn't be feal mealworms. I know many big breeders who give their leopard geckos mealworms as their primary diet, and hatching thousands of offspring per year between them have never had any problems doing this.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. kingrob

kingrob New Member

what about a web footed sand gecko, or panther gecko?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. kingrob

kingrob New Member

or a lizard that i could start in a 15 for a couple months then upgrade to a 20 or 30.......?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. dan420

dan420 Member

possibly a beardie, but no sand for them either.

12. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

Orange-Eyed Crocodile Skink can be kept in a 10g gets 10" at most and are omnivourus

13. tegu_girl0

tegu_girl0 New Member

were do u get the skinks?

14. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

15. BD59602

BD59602 New Member

leopard gecko would be my choice, they handle fairly easy and they dont eat too much, and do not require any lighting or heating if u live in a warm house or somewhere warm

16. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

I have leopard geckos, and they are great!!! I also have a beardie and he's great, too. But for size, a gecko would probably be better, and are easier than a bearded dragon.

17. swift55

swift55 New Member

well i have a texas spiny lizard and a emerald swift in a sandy cage and they are fine i think one of those lizards will do good in a if gallon tank and they only grow to 8-9 in.