what kind of lizard?...

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by edgarmedina1010, Sep 4, 2006.

1. edgarmedina1010

edgarmedina1010 New Member

what kind of lizard would be good for a 10 gal. tank..?whats easiest to take care of??(cheapest).what type of things would I need to buy??how much money would this set up cost??....thanks in advance..

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. theend882

theend882 Member

there really isn't any lizard that can be kept in a 10 gallon and be happy

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. edgarmedina1010

how 'bout a 20?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. theend882

theend882 Member

in a 20 gallon you could get a leopard gecko

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. edgarmedina1010

cool..... what bout the other questions I posted?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. theend882

theend882 Member

12. edgarmedina1010

13. Mellowman

Mellowman New Member

cant a pygmy (sp?) chamelon be kept in a 10 gallon assuming it is tall not wide

14. pink_playdo

pink_playdo New Member

Id get a leo if i was you, ive got one and its great! if you plan on odering via internet..

www.crestedgecko.com

or just some reference for pics, but garrick has exellent service, and leos are pretty easy to care for, done ask for much, but make sure your VERY educated on them befor you get one

best of wishes!

15. The_Guy8880

The_Guy8880 Embryo

in 10 gallon you couldnt keep much but u could get frogs but there not lizards.

16. randy84

randy84 New Member

he could have anoles!

17. papercut

papercut Member

or house geckos

18. JBCT

JBCT New Member

Since you asked about prices Ill try to give you a general idea. Remember prices will vary based on where you live, where you buy, etc. Also you can find things on sale but these are ballpark to give you an idea.And some tips on saving money if that is a concern.

A 20 gallon long black frame tank should cost about $25-30. If you can find a "leaker" you can save some money. In the old days we used to sell leakers all the time. I believe nowadays they send them back to manufacturer but who knows you could get lucky.

Garage and moving sales are a boon for used tanks. Lots of people buy tanks and then decide that fish are too much bother so the tanks sit in the basement and rot. If you care to look you could easily find a 20 gallon or larger for a few dollars and with a good cleaning will work fine. I just wouldnt trust it with water!

A screen top will run you about 10 bucks. Or you could make your own either with mesh or plexiglass.

Heating. It depends what you want to use. I use basking lights and you can buy a metal dome fixture at Home Depot for around 8 bucks. Remember, a lot of the stuff you see in a pet shop can be bought for half the price at a home supply store. It just wont have a pretty lizard on the package. You can get your bulbs here too for a couple bucks. Same for the thermometer. Unless you want something fancy like a digital with a probe.

If you wish to use an undertank heating pad as well that will run you another $15-30 depending on your selection. Then you will need a rheostat/dimmer switch to go with it. You may need one for the light too but you may not if you find the right bulb and adjust the height to make it just right. Another $10 bucks.

I wont get into heat tape, ceramaic heaters and all that. Im just doing the basics. Just stay away from hot rocks. They are junk.

So far we have spent somewhere around $70 bucks if we bought everything new and no heating pad.

Then you will need some type of substrate, a food and water bowl and some cage furniture. This can either be almost free or cost you a bundle depending on how fancy you want to get. You can use newspaper or paper towels as a subtsrate, get some shallow lids for bowls and make your own hides out of small plastic containers or those deli trays that food comes in. You know the black ones with the lids? They make great hides for small lizards. A little something to climb on would be nice. You can collect your own wood if you strip the bark off and soak it in bleach or bake it to kill any bugs that may be in it. Or you can buy your pieces from the pert shop. Cork bark is expensive its great for climbing as well as hiding so if you have a few dollars go ahead and get some.

What Ive been doing lately for just about all my lizards is Retes stacks. These were designed by Frank Retes especially for monitors but I find they work fantastic for lots of other lizards. Its basically a "stack" made with either 2x2s or something smaller like 1x2 if the lizards are little. You want it snug. Then you build a stack. Two pieces of 2x2 with a piece of plywood on top, then another set of 2x2s and another piece of plywood, and all the way up as high as you need. Then this goes under the heat lamp. You have now made a perfect thermoregulating basking/hide spot. As the lizards move up and down the levels the will have access to a range of temperature. At the top it might be 120 or higher based on the species all the way down to 80 at the bottom. And they can hide while they are getting warm so they dont need to be completely exposed if they dont want to. And its dirt cheap! No, its not pretty but very functional. I see my lizards move up and down the stack as they see fit. You can modify the design to accomadate nearly any type of terrestrial lizard. Tree dwellers probably wont like it as much but I dont know I havent tried it on them. Ill bet a leopard gecko would dig it.

So for a VERY rough estimate expect to spend around $80-100 for your leopard geck set up. Thats a safe bet and gives you some wiggle room. Yes, you can do it much cheaper if you spend a little more time and effort.

Im also not taking into account vitamins, food, the lizard itself and probably a few other items you may need. But that $80 will certainly get you started.

19. IamApirate

IamApirate Embryo

Viper geckos are tiny and can be put in a 10 as far as I know. If you can find one.

20. lilalex0145

lilalex0145 Embryo

i have 2 green anoles in a 10 gallon, and they seem fine =]