What kind of frog should I get?

Discussion in 'General Amphibians' started by lizardgurl87, Jun 14, 2011.

1. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

I'm going to get a frog sometime in the future and I want to know what people reccommend. I would prefer one that you can hold every now and then and doesn't need more than a 10 gallon tank for housing.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

Any frog that is small enough to live in a 10g would be too delicate for holding unless absolutely necessary. Also most smaller species won't just sit still for holding.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lizardgurl87

well, i just found out a guy ik has a bunch of tanks he's giving away, so i could get a 20 or 29 G if i needed 2, since that's taken care of, what kind of frogs like bein handled sometimes?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

White's Tree Frogs (hilariously known as WTFs) are really the only widely acknowledged frog for tolerating handling well. These are actually my favorite frogs because of their lazy, gluttonous disposition and seeming receptiveness to human interaction. Plus, they are hardy and great for beginners. If you are able to get the 20 or 29g as you mentioned, one should be perfect to you.

Keep in mind that you still can't handle your WTF for extended lengths of time. Try to keep it under 10 minutes. Just like any frog, they can dry out easily when handled for too long. I always wet my hands before handling any frog, and mist the frog itself down before picking it up.

As for whether or not WTFs actually ENJOY being handled, that's difficult to say. They are certainly less jumpy than other frog species, although I think this has more to do with their laid back personalities. But I did work with a frog named Fatty once, and I swear he enjoyed being petted (with a wet hand, of course). But that could just be me anthropomorphizing. Who knows?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. lizardgurl87

lol, thanks i saw some WTF's(hilarious there known as that) at the pet store and I also saw a pacman frog, do u know anything about them?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Cammy

I do, actually. A 20 gallon long would be a good sized tank for one. They do get rather large, about 5-6 inches in diameter, and fat, but they are extremely lazy. They are interesting because of their size and appetite--they will actually eat small fish and frozen pinky mice as adults in addition to feeder insects and worms. Unfortunately, a lot of people find them "boring" as they pretty much bury themselves and sit in the same spot all day. They are not tolerant of handling and have a lovely habit of urinating on people who try to do so. Definitely an interesting pet when it comes to feeding time, but not something you want to consider if you're looking for a handleable frog. You should look up some pictures of adult pac mans, by the way. They're one of those things that are only cute because they're so darn ugly.

12. lizardgurl87

ya, I saw an adult one at a pet shop and it looked interesting, so that's why I asked, but idk it would be the right kind for me, even though feeding sounds very interesting. Are there any other kinds like pixies or dumpies for example you would reccommend, or are WTF's the best u think?

13. Cammy

Pixie's are pretty much the same as pac mans as far as behavior and diet goes, only they get even bigger. Dumpies are the same thing as WTFs, it's just a different name for the same frog. :) But yeah, WTFs/Dumpies are pretty much the only frogs that are tolerant of handling.

14. lizardgurl87

well, I think I'll go with a WTf/dumpy then, thanks for telling me about them :) and I heard you can house them with anoles and I don't think I would because the tank size I have for my anole, but anyway is that true?

15. Cammy

Yikes, no, WTFs would eventually eat an anole, lol!

16. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Just adding in that when I worked at Petco when I was younger I used to love the WTF's the best :) I <3 them, they just seem so chill and happy all the time :)

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  17. lizardgurl87

ok, I was just wondering and that's crazy they get big enough to eat anoles!

18. Lenny and Louie285.

Lenny and Louie285. New Member

image.jpg

I think my little pacman is quite handsome! They are entertaining at feeding time but like the others said, they don't do a whole lot and do not like to be handled and can even bite ( and they have little "teeth") That being said I still find my guy a cute addition.

lizardgurl87 and StikyPaws312 like this.
  19. lizardgurl87

Ha, a pacman frog :) I did post this awhile ago, and I now have 3 frogs-2 green tree frogs and a gray tree frog haha :p
    But, I have seen these guys and considered them since then :) My next herp project will be a ball python, but I might get one of these guys in the future. They're pretty cool it seems and care isn't difficult at all for a frog. But, your little guy here is pretty great! Most frogs generally seem to have quite the appetite too :D