what is xpvc?

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by bobsgeckos, Jun 17, 2007.

1. bobsgeckos

bobsgeckos New Member

I build my own racks and am wondering what xpvc is? Is it lighter than wood? Can you drill and screw it or do you glue it? What size sheets does it come in? What thickness? Dose it handle flexwatts temps? Is it cheaper than wood? And does any one else know of any other light cheap materials that would work? If it makes any diff i breed geckos and need to build a colony rack next for 3 colonies. Dont think that info makes any diff but anyway thanx for any help of info.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. steve75

steve75 Well-Known Member

XPVC is Expanded PVC (poly vinyl chloride). It is lighter than wood, works similar to wood, comes in large sheets or pre-cut, handles flexwatt and higher temps just fine and is usually more spendy than wood (cost/benefit) depending on the grade of the wood you use.

http://www.reptilerooms.com/forumtopic-52375.html

That post should help answer most or all of your questions. Good luck.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bobsgeckos

bobsgeckos New Member

Thats the post that got me to ask in the first place but any ways would meanards have xpvc?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Saucy

Saucy Well-Known Member

They SHOULD have it... if not, check a higher quality place like Lowe's or Home Depot.

PS - Menards is only in the midwest, so I don't know if other people would know this.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bobsgeckos

bobsgeckos New Member

ok thanx for the help im kinda a one man team so anything to make them lighter helps me a lot

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bobsgeckos

bobsgeckos New Member

Lowes, menards, and home depot said they never herd of it so wear elts can i try? Have you bought it at one of these and if so what department was it in?

12. ssscales

ssscales Member

They won't have XPVC in any of those places. You have to check Plastic suppliers like Piedmont Plastics, Laird Plastics, any local plastic supplier or even sign suppliers you may have in your area can hook you up. You may think you don't have any near you, but you may be surprised!

Good Luck!