What is safe to santize a tank for beardies?

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by blessedbe, Nov 12, 2002.

1. blessedbe

blessedbe Embryo

I just lost one of my beardies (Merlin)to the dreaded new yellow fungus and though it hurt's ALOT (he was my favorite) I have to move on and take care of the other two girl's that are left and as I don't want to lose them too I want to santize the tank's for their living,but what's safe to use that will kill bacteria such as this?
    THANX for ANY and all advice,
    Tonya=0)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

We generally do a first wash with some water and anti-bacterial washing-up liquid. That gets rid of most of the general dirt n' whatnot.

After that, a betadine solution usually kills off anything else. Finally, a good rinse down with some clean water.

If the tank's not going to be used for a long time, we usually cover it in a trash bag. Stops dust n' whatnot from settling inside it - and bugs & wild critters from getting in there and potentially spreading anything to your nicely cleaned tank.

Make sure it's fully dried out and there's no smell of betadine or disinfectent in there before you cover it up though - if you cover it up.

I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. We lost two dragons to the fungus. It was tough, but at least they're not suffering any more.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

I use a 10% bleach solution followed by plenty of clean water for rinsing.
    Then allow the tank to compelely dry before putting anything back into it.

Some people also use Novlasan but that stuff can be somewhat expesive.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Rainey

Rainey New Member

I was going to suggest the bleech solution, but I am intreagued about this Novlasan. Can someone please tell me about this stuff and maybe a site that I can find more out about it and buy it maybe?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

I've never heard of it before, but if I see anything, I'll let you know.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Reptscue

Reptscue New Member

Nolvasan is a cleaner that I commonly use. I get it from my work (Vet office). It is pretty expensive (I think about $30-$40), but what you get is a one gallon concentrate, that you dilute one ounce of concentrated Nolvasan to a gallon of water. The stuff lasts forever!

Just my $.02 :)
    Kim

12. Rainey

Rainey New Member

Do you have any idea where to get the stuff? I'd love to get my hands on some!

13. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

14. Rainey

Rainey New Member

That link to info on nolvasan didn't work, Thanks for the ordering site. I'll be looking into getting some!

15. Reptscue

Reptscue New Member

You nay be able to pic some up at your local vet.