What do you think is the OVERALL best feeder insect.

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by Serpents_IE, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Serpents_IE

Serpents_IE Embryo

I would have to go with turkestan cockroaches or lobsters. They are quick moving so they grab the animals attention, breed readily and quickly, easy to keep alive, come in sizes 1/8th of an inch to an inch+ so they can be fed to wide selection of animals. They have one of the highest meat to shell ratios, they will eat anything so gutloading them is a snap. So overall I do not see many problems with these gems.[/u]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Pretty much all of the roach species are pretty equal and certainly better than crix, just for the much higher meat to shell ratio alone. As far as worms go.... phoenix, silk and butters are all very good high calcium feeders.

With that being said, I wouldnt say any one insect/worm is best. A varied diet is always the overall best diet. Try to feed your critters as many different insects as you can on a monthly basis. I personally use roaches as my staple feeder, but I also offer as at least one of the following once every week. Phoenix worms, Silks, Butters, crix or supers.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. RobertII

RobertII Well-Known Member

Leave it to shrap to boost the image of roaches ;)
    But I do agree.
    Top 2 feeders: Roach & Silkworm
    I don't think I would pick between the 2 their both great.

Robert

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Bear_Foot_Inc

Bear_Foot_Inc New Member

I have to say i like dubia the best with lobsters and discoids being a close 2nd... They are just the best!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. RobertII

RobertII Well-Known Member

I dont agee.
    Lobsters are good for massive breeding but they are climbers & escapees are common.
    Dubia & Discoids are my top 2.

Robert

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. AaronP1977

AaronP1977 Embryo

I Love the lobster roaches. The dubias are good, as are discoids, turkistan roaches, and even madagascars. I like to give my animals a big variety of feeders to keep their diet varied.

12. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Re: RE: What do you think is the OVERALL best feeder insect.

I could not agree more. I think too many times people look for a "super feeder". Variety is key.

13. DaKing25

DaKing25 New Member

I am looking into getting lobster roaches but does any one know what the conversion rate is of how many roaches should be fed compared to crickets?

14. LittleLouie

LittleLouie Well-Known Member

Good question. I use discoids as one of my feeder insects, and I just give my leos however many that they want. Usually they just want 1-3, but the other day Boo ate seven discoids one day, and eight crickets another. I am trying to feed them discoids that are similar to adult cricket size.

15. DaKing25

DaKing25 New Member

Yea, I guess you just feed them until their full, but 1-3 does sound like a good number.

16. davegrimm1

davegrimm1 Embryo

I breed many species of roaches but no lobsters. There is a wide array of feeder roaches available and all of them work .
    I also keep about 3000 tarantula's and they all get nothing but roaches and they get whatever I have the most of at the time.

17. SilverSeven

SilverSeven New Member

Not a single mention of phoenix worms?