What are the best fresh fruits for my igua gua?

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by DeadByDesign, May 4, 2008.

1. DeadByDesign

DeadByDesign New Member

i like to sprinkle on some finely chopped fresh fruits onto my iggys greens i also sprinkle some of the store bought juvie igg food on top with some reptocal he seems to like it ive had a great success with banannas and grapes but i was wondering what els is safe and tastey for my juvienile iguana. ive tryed apples with no peels he doesent seem to like them and they go bad very fast. i have my red igg in one of those fresh air tanks so his lights dont spoil his food as fast as it would in a glass tank

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

the pellets are a good all around supplement for him. For fruit they love berries and banana it seems the best, but you need to use those in moderations too. Raspberries and blueberries are big favorites, with my iggs picking them out first before eating anything else. Mango, pineapple, any melons are good. As with all things, varirty and moderation are best. Add these to salads of rich greens like collards, dandelions. cilintra, some romaine, watch spinachs and other high oxalates trying to avoid those or keeping them to a minimum

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ilovemyiguana

ilovemyiguana Embryo

5% FRUITS ‑ Fruits, in general, are mineral poor yet tasty enough that iguanas will eat them preferentially over more nutritious foods. Limit fruits to 5% or less of the total ration. Figs are one of the few fruits rich in calcium. Apples, apricots, dates, grapes, kiwis, melons, mangos, peaches, papayas, pears, plums, prunes, raisins, star fruit, strawberries, tomatoes and raspberries are all fine in small amounts. Iguanas are fond of bananas unfortunately they have very little calcium present.

I used to feed Babe alot of fruit, he liked it, but I learned not to. He had a fatty liver which I am addressing thru diet. for greens try:

95% VEGETABLES ‑ The majority of the diet should consist of dark leafy greens. Dark leafy greens that are rich in calcium include collard, mustard, and turnip tops or greens, alfalfa or Timothy hay, kale, Chinese cabbages (Bok‑choy, Pak‑choi), broccoli rabe or rapina (leaves from the broccoli plant, not the stuff humans eat) clover, and dandelions (flowers, stems and leaves). Other dark leafy greens include red or green cabbages, Swiss chard, beet greens, escarole, parsley, spinach, watercress, savoy, and kohlrabi. In natural habitat iguanas readily consume flowers. Flowers such as roses, nasturtiums, carnations, dandelions and hibiscus are excellent. Mulberry and hibiscus leaves are good if available. Note that the outer darker leaves of most vegetables have a higher mineral content then the inner lighter leaves. Other types of vegetables include alfalfa, radish, clover and bean sprouts, asparagus, bell peppers, Brussels sprouts, carrots, cauliflower, cucumbers, green beans, jicama, mushrooms, okra, shredded parsnips, peas and pea pods, prickly pear cactus pads (shave off the spines), shredded summer or winter squashes, sweet potatoes, and uncooked thawed frozen mixed vegetables (corn, green beans, lima beans, peas, carrots).

Each week vary the diet by purchasing different foods to keep him healthy.