What are the aggression/dominance signs of leopard geckos?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Eskim0, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Eskim0 Embryo

Message Count:
    Eversince I asked the question about my two leopard geckos fighting(If you remember) I've been thinking about what are the aggresion signs of leopard geckos? By the way, one of the leopard geckos which thought to have been fighting was a female. So I dont need to worry about male and male fighting. So anyways, what are the signs of aggression/dominance of leopard geckos?
    I heard that laying on top of eachother and tail wagging is 2 of them.
  2. Blake15 Embryo

Message Count:
    RE: What are the aggression/dominance signs of leopard gecko

The way I am familiar with them showing dominance is by them waging their tail
  3. Fiche GOTM Winner

Message Count:

Some of the signs that I know:

- Laying on top of each other
    - Laying next to each other
    - One following the other around
    - Physically fighting (over food, or just for any reason)
    - Tail wagging

There are more signs I'm sure, but these seem to be the most obvious. Also keep in mind that there are some signs that are a sign that bullying is going on:

- A loss of appetite in one or both geckos
    - Illness or lethargic nature of one or both geckos
    - Wounds or other unknown damage to one or both geckos (meaning the likely fought when you weren't looking)
    - One gecko may sleep in the open or in a different part of the cage then they used to when they were alone.

Last but not least, it's important that even if you don't think you see any of these signs they could be happening when you aren't looking, or a fight could happen out of blue air. People have success housing them together, but even geckos that have lived together for years can decide they no longer want to share their territory.
  4. Saucy Embryo

Message Count:

I'd pick up a scale to keep an eye on both their weights. This is really the best way to tell if one is hoarding food... and housing multiples can SOMETIMES be done successfully when there is plenty of room, lots of hides and plenty of food. Some leos just won't deal with another one ever.

I think Fiche covered the dominance thing pretty well... I guess something I notice at work is that when we start getting a dominant one, they have to eat first, THEN the other ones eat.