Weird bugs in my cages..

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by Gauzbo, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Gauzbo

Gauzbo Member

There are like these weird light greyish type small bugs in my cages like the size of nats and this weird white kind of larva I suspect thats what it is under the bedding, anyone know what these might be or how I can permanently get rid of them without messing with my moms allergies since she is allergic to most pestisides, I had them once before, completely cleaned out the cages and everything but they came back.. Someone said they might to fruit flies but I know for sure they are not, they don't look like it or fly, as i've observed, any help would be nice.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Is it possible that the white larvae are baby crickets?
    What kind of substrate are you using?

Maybe a pic or two might help.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Gauzbo

Gauzbo Member

Forest bed, the stuff that you put in water and it expands.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Sluefoot26

Sluefoot26 New Member

Sounds like baby crickets.

Tim.

Got a magnifying glass?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Gauzbo

Gauzbo Member

These aren't baby crickets, they look different, and are smaller.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Sluefoot26

Sluefoot26 New Member

Can you get a pic of them?

Tim.

12. Leopardman

Leopardman Embryo

change the bedding
    they might be mites and those are a huge pain to get rid of.

13. CowboyJoe

CowboyJoe New Member

How often do you change the bedding? and what type of gecko's do you have? if it's a leopard, then you can put it on sand, or carpet. You maw want to concider getting some ceramic tile and using that on the bottom of the tank. verry easy to clean.

14. lacerta

lacerta Member

Packaged bedding that is based on wood byproducts are often infested with wood mites. That is a common problem with several brands of aspen bedding in particular. Woodmites are harmless to reptiles, assuming that is what they are. George

15. Gauzbo

Gauzbo Member

I think they might be wood mites, I just washed the whole tank and put the bedding back in, and I see the larva again, I will take the cage to the chicago reptile house to check it out, I am sure rick knows what they are.

16. drewlowe

drewlowe New Member

Bake your substrate before using that will get rid of everything. Just make sure your there the whole time or else you could catch your house on fire.

I had the bugs once when i used repti bark, Can't remeber what they are but i know their harmless to herps, but you still don't want them in there.

17. drewlowe

drewlowe New Member

oh and don't use sand or carpet for leos. Sand can cause impactation and they can get their toes caught and possibly ripped out with carpet.

18. sephroth_R1

sephroth_R1 Embryo

sand is fine to use... its part of there habitat in some parts, ive never had impaction, and they thrive on the stuff. they come from desert/grassland areas, that change throughout the year, from compleate desert to somewhat moist.