We Need A Rhacodactylus Forum!

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by JEFFREH, Sep 29, 2004.

1. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Alright, personally I think this site would be a ton better if it had a Rhacodactylus forum. I know that we have the Gecko Island and Other Geckos forums, but we also have leopard gecko and uroplatus forums. So I think it would be fair to have a Rhacodactylus one too. Kingsnake.com has a Rhacodactylus forum, and there are at least two posts a day there. And I'm sure more people would be interesting in joining this site if they wanted to know something about, or share info about any of the Rhacodactylus species.

There have also been and increasing amount of quetions asked regarding the species Rhacodactylus Ciliatus, or crested gecko. Beacuase of it's growing popularity in the pet trade and it's ease of care, many stores are getting them as well as other places such as shows. I'm sure many would agree with me about this, and it would really be the only thing I can possibly think of that could make the site even better than it is (which at first I thought was impossible),

Not sure who got it, but I sent an email regarding this to someone. I'm assuming axe, but I cant be 100% positive. There werent any replys and its been awhile, so I assumed that you didnt get the email. I'm not sure if you were going to respond or not, I just kind of figured you would. Sorry if you were able to look at it and I'm making this big deal, but it just seems like a good idea to me.

Sorry if I'm sounding forceful, it's just I think it would make it simpler to new member as well as old ones to share there knowledge in one forum about these geckos.

So basically to make it simple, I think we need a forum for all the wonderful Rhacodactylus species. Whos with me???

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

I am 100% with Jeffreh on this one. Crested geckos are getting more and more popular and are becoming the "leopard gecko" of the tropics, and by that I mean all of the morphs and patterns and easyness to care for.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

I put my vote in too. Cresteds are becoming ever so popular in the herp world...having their own forum would be a very nice addition to this already wonderful site.

Rebecca

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

why is it needed? I mean I don't mind if its there, but there is already a large percentage of this site dedicated to geckos as it is. Does every gecko need its own seperate forum? This place is going to quickly start looking more like "Gecko Rooms" than "Reptile Rooms". Remember we are about ALL herps. IMHO if more sub-forums are going to be added to the site, I'd say a better idea would be to branch out into having areas for more of the other general herp families like Agamids, Iguanids, Monitors, etc. instead of giving more individual geckos their own place while others are just clumped together in "General Lizards". Anyway thats what makes sense to me.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

but it is easier to come to this site and saying "Hey look they have Rhacodactylus" instead of sitting here searching for threads that talk about them. more people have crested geckos than leaf tails so why not remove the leaf tail and put in crested in its place?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I understand what your saying KaMiKaZeE, but what I'm trying to say is not only a forumn for the crested gecko itself, but the whole Rhacodactylus species, such as the gargoyle gecko, new caledonian giant gecko, crested gecko etc. Personally in my opinion this is good idea. I knew there would be others that disagree, but I'm sure it would improve this site some.

I believe this is why there are gecko island and the other geckos forums, because I'm assuming that axe and or cheriS had a feeling that something similair to this would happen, asking for a forum about a certain species. But, in my point of view, in a couple years, Cresteds and other various species from the Rhacodactylus group, will become extremely popular, possibley as popular as the leopard gecko within the near future.

The reason I'm saying this is I agree with you kamikazee about certain things, but other not. For example, what you said about the forum for monitors, iguanids, and Agamids. Although these species are great pets, and some users have them, they arent as, how can I say this, readily available or have an ease of care. This is why I am asking for this forum, because many more poeple are buying the Rhacodactylus species, and they are becoming more available, as well as easily cared for and great colors available.

Also about what you said about the general lizards thing. Are you suggeting that we put all categories of lizards there? For example, get rid of the Bearded Dragon, Anoles, and Uromastx forum to be placed under the genereal lizards? And take out all of the gecko forums and place them under somehting such as genereal geckos? It would be very confusing personally, I'm suggesting this forum solely because it would be easier to answer quetions about the various species in one section as well as allow new users to find where they want to go easier. It's hard to explain what I'm trying to say, but I'm just trying to make it easier for everyone.

I understand where your coming from and to kind of sum this whole thing up I am going to say this:

There are tons of species of gecko, some, only a handlful of people have, and others thousands have.I'm sure there are people that think this site would be better with a Tokay gecko forum, or a Flying gecko forum, but I can be pretty sure not very many people have these geckos in comparison to others such as the leopard or crested. For example, the Uroplatus forum. I'm sure many people have this species, but generally the forum itsself and isnt used that often. And Not very many know about the species very well. But on this site, as well as other, I have seen several people that have given great quetions and perfect answers about crested or gargoyle geckos. Becasue they are becoming popular, and many more people know about or have them.

I cant quite find the words I'm trying to say about this, so sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to argue, because I'm not. And I'm sorry if any of this doesnt make sense, I'm rushed and I'm just typing from the top of my head. Also sorry for the length or repeats about anythig I might have said earlier.

12. mythdragonlover

mythdragonlover Well-Known Member

I agree with JEFFREH 100%. Because this place is for reptiles then don't you think it'dbe nice to have a forum for all the popular retpiles? We have one for a whole bunch of them so far, like the breadies, leos, and iguanas. Shouldn't we also get one for what is probably the 2nd most popular and growing species of geckos? Yes we should.

The fact is that many people are out there wondering websites and message boards that can answer their reptile needs. And what if one of those people wonders past this message board but sees no Rhacodactylus forum when that's excatly what their looking for. They may think, "Oh, well these people don't have a forum for crested geckos, which is what I have, therefore they must not know how to care for them correctly, or well for that matter. I mean they do seem nice and all but not educated in my department, I better go and look for a more knowelgeable messgae board!" And so passes a member that we could have had and would probably become a great member too!

Also if, and when the Rhacodactylus become for popular and we don't have a forum just for them then the gecko's forum may be too cluttered and over run to talk about other spieces of geckos.

I think it is in the best interest of this community to have a Rhacodactylus forum.

13. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Now thats exactly what I'm trying to say, just couldnt thin of the words to really exaplin it in a short and sweet manor.

14. *~Amanda~*

*~Amanda~* Member

what is that? that you guys are trying to get?

15. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Rhacodactylus forum, basically for all of the Rhacodactylus species, uch as the Crested, or eyelash gecko ( Rhacodactylus Ciliatus, the Gargoyle Gecko ( Rhacodactylus Auriculatus), New Caledonian Giant Gecko (Rhacodactylus leachianus), and Chahoua (Rhacodactylus chahoua). There are several other but those tend to be the most common. EAsy pets to care for and are becoming more and more popular, pet stores are starting to add them to their stock and they are becoming very available at reptile shows. Here are some pics of the crested gecko, the most common and generally the easiest and most available, as well as tons of color morphs and patterns:

http://www.pangeareptile.com/pics.htm
    http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/25414fire2.JPG
    http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/641bluefemale006-med.jpg

Now I must warn you, these pictures are of some more expensive nice colored morphs, ranging from 200-1,000$. However there are several other beautiful morphs, such as red, yellow, orange, browns, and grays of various shades and patterns. I have a simple buckskin currently, but his personality and ease of care make him stand out above some of my other lizards.

Here are a few more pics of various species on this site, and a few others:
    http://giantgeckos.com/index.htm
    http://www.mountaingeckos.freeservers.com/photo3.html
    http://www.sandfiredragonranch.com/animals/geckos/index.html

If you would like to know any info about them, or more pics, then you can pm me if you wish. But as I was saying earlier, these are wonderful creatures and I can gurantee that anyone with any Rhacodactylus species, loves them and thinks that they are the most interesting and magnificent species of gecko.

16. joe5555

joe5555 Member

why is there a uromastix and a uroplatus forums when they are some what not as popular .rhacudaculus should replace uroplatus

17. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I agree with that, I'm actually surprised there was a uroplatus forum made. They are facinating creatures, but very few people have them. I agree with joe5555 on that one

18. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

there are only 6threads in the uroplatus section, i am sure that there will be more in the rhacodactylus

19. *~Amanda~*

*~Amanda~* Member

yeah i still dont knwo what a Rhacodactylus is!

20. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Not sure how to explain it simply. Ummm ok.

It's like a subspecies, in the scientific (latin) name. You have a leopard gecko rights? It's basically the same thing as the Eublepharis in Eublepharis macularious, which identifies the species of gecko called the leopard gecko. Hard to explain ion simple terms. But Rhacodactylus is a sub family group, just like Eublepharis. The reason I am asking for a Rhacodactylus forum rather than a crested gecko forum, is because there are other Rhacodactylus species such as the gargoyle gecko and the new cal. giant that are also becoming popular.

It's kinda like changing the Leopard Gecko forum into a Eubelpharis forum, however, it would be simpler to say leopard gecko because almost all of them other than the leopard in that group are not sold as pets, or are at least extremely uncommon. I hope this helps, like i said, its hard to explain it simply.

One more quick example, lets do it this way,

Rhacodactylus Ciliats = Crested Gecko
    Eubelpharis macularious = leopard gecko

The first part simply identifies the "group" or species of gecko they are classified as. then the second part states the actual species they are talkin about. Kinda sort of get it now???

21. *~Amanda~*

*~Amanda~* Member

okay lets just call them the Crested Gecko! and not the BIG words! lol.. sorry if i sound mad or whatever im just having a chest pain, and im very upset right now! so im sorry ahead!

22. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

We cant call it just a crested gecko right now, cause there are gargoyles and Chaous and New Claedonian Giants out there! But I'll just let off the big words... a little. Dont worry, I know your not mad.

Ok back to business, all in favor of Rhacodactylus forum (crested for amanda) say I! or something else along those lines.

23. *~Amanda~*

*~Amanda~* Member

ohh okay! im sorry! im just confused! and i dont want anyone to read that and think im like mad or somthing! hey i dont mind another post thingy! I! lol

24. KR3LL

KR3LL New Member

a Rhacodactylus is a must, considering they are taking the herp market by storm.

25. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

I'm for it on here. I've just started looking into these animals and it amazes me how easy their husbandry needs are. I'll definitely have one soon!!