Waxworms

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by lizardgurl87, Dec 8, 2011.

1. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

So, I had a coupon for buy crickets get worms reduced and I already have a bunch of mealworms-so, I decided to try waxworms. They are differen't and I know you shouldn't give them often-as with mealworms, so a few times a week? I've heard of them as a "reward" after handling or something-I cleaned out the cages completely today and had my leo in a small plastic "critter keeper" for a little while while I was doing it and when I put her in the newly cleaned tank-I gave her one, but she noticed it and didn't take it-which is odd for her, since she normally eats everything lol :p I figured it was from stress and tried again a while later and she ate two happily :) They are mainly fat, right? and I'm assuming easier to digest(and just better)than mealworms(but, isn't everything better than them? lol)I've heard they're not for anoles-but, would it be ok? I bought them mainly for my leo, but my anoles eat the same he does-the mealworms and crickets-usually bigger crickets than him! o_O Are they the same as Repti-worms/Pheonix worms/etc.(soldier fly larvae)?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

i give waxworms to ethen a couple times a year, on her hatchday and on christmas and thats it, they really are just fat and even once a week may be too much. ethen is already a fatty though so she doesnt need many more snacks. butterwoms are like waxies only they have healthy stuff in them too so its not just fat

not sure about anoles though

Eme Demiri likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Think of wax worms as twinkies.... full of fat and fluff and taste awesome! Lol. I agree with Shanna that once a week may even be too much... They really dont have any nutritional value at all and your leos can possibly get hooked on them and not eat the mealworms anymore if they know they will just get wax worms...

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lizardgurl87

Alright, I'll do once a month or every few months then :) She doesn't need much more fat either lol, but she is growing fast.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Waxworms are the larvae of a waxmoths; a completely different species than black soldier fly's. They also behave differently, grow differently, and feed differently. The only similarity is the soft exoskeleton and the fact they are a larval stage of a flying insect =)

In reality, Mealworms AND Waxworms are ridiculously high in fat - the only difference is often about a 5-10% composition (and slightly less protein) in waxworms and they are frowned so heavely upon; yet we feed mealworms by the boatload as staple insects. It's actually the waxworm's lack of a chitanous exoskeleton that is its downfall... they are easier to digest, but the complex carbohydrate actually hinders fat absorption in the small intestine which is why mealworms and superworms don't quite pack on the pounds (grams?) like waxies do.

Variety is key to any diet - You can feed a waxworm every few days if you wanted to; but it depends entirely on the species and what else it is you are feeding. Some herps metabolize fat much better than others. Leopard geckos tend to handle less lean foods much better than say, a bearded dragon, who will readily begin storing it around vital organs (such as the liver) as opposed to subcutanesouly and in the tail/designated storage locations.

If you fed a diet of mixed roaches, soldier grubs, and other lean foods than feeding an occasional waxworm here and there isn't going to hurt anything. You can allow them to mature and feed the moths as well to frogs, chameleons, and some other herps (just as you can feed the adult darkling beetles of larval mealworms to herps as well). Don't go overboard though, they are a Treat regardless of how you break them down as the others have mentioned.

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. lizardgurl87

Well, thanks! Could I give them to my anoles then? I have wondered if roaches are ok for leos-well at his size now(he's about 8in-including tail)and what kind would be best? I'm going to the reptile show again next week and could pick some up-I thought they were all pretty much sold at the same size-but, you're the one who sells them :) The waxworms will be nice to fatten up his tail and I will try to get some pheonix worms too(which can be used pretty frequently-meaning a few times a week-right?)
    and so, mealworms are more digestable than others? I always thought since they're hard exoskeleton they wouldn't be as much, which is why I limit feeding them too often. You're also saying that I could wait until they turn into moths and then feed them?
    Thanks a lot! :D

12. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Mealworms aren't more digestable, but the chitin in their exoskeleton inhibits fat absorption to an extent; all of the soft-bodied prey like silkworms, trevo/butter worms, soldier grubs, waxworms, etc are all very easy to digest due to a soft body. Mealworms, superworms (zophobas) etc are harder to digest due to the rigid exoskeleton. The Phoenix worms (soldier grubs) you were inquiring about make an excellent staple and can be fed at any frequency you desire.

You can try to feed when the waxworms become moths, although some species ignore them entirely and they probably wont be well suited for a leo (maybe an anole). I know a lot of frog keepers feed off the moths when they mature.

Roaches are fine for any herp; because you will be breeding them you will have an arsenal of many sizes available to accomodate your gecko and anole no matter how big they are. Obviously you wont be able to feed adult roaches of some species to them (Blaberus sp and B. dubia) but the nymphs of appropriate size will make fine feeders = )

As for roach species: I've make a sticky in the Feeder Forum regarding roach care along with some species profiles and info about selecting the right kind for your needs. I'll link to it below - For anoles and leos I'd say Turkistans (B. lateralis), B. dubia, or Orange Heads (E. posticus) would all be fine choices due to inability to climb or fly and their ease of breeding. Some of the Blaberus species might be okay as well but adult size and larger nymph size might be a bit much for the species you are keeping.

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  13. lizardgurl87

Thanks again-I'll check out the sticky on roches too :) You seem to think I will be breeding them-and I don't plan on it now at least lol, I have a small plastic tank and a 2.5G I could keep a few in to try them out and if they work pretty well, I might start breeding them, but honestly they somewhat disturb me o_O
    When they molt into moths I will try to feed them to the anoles-and hopefully the frog will eat one, since he doesn't eat much(that I notice anyways, though he is healthy and fat still). You mentioned superworms and I've seen them, but don't think I'll ever use them, unless I get a beardie or something bigger. They're pretty big and the mealworms are enough for them already, but when my leo grows up-will he be big enough to eat the superworms? Also, could I possibly try feeding them(mostly the frog I'm thinking, maybe the anoles)red wiggler worms? They aren't that big and I could cut them, like for fishing...I know the earth worms are much to big though.