wanna try breeding them

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by mr~python, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr~python

mr~python Member

well i keep about 500 crickets for my ackie and i want to try breeding them. so far from what i understand is they need a medium to deposit eggs. im planning on using my ackie's dirt once he grows out of his 20gal and just putting a 1-2 inch layer across the whole cricket cage.

i have some questions about breeding them though. do they need some source of heat? im thinking of giving them a basking spot of ~110 and having the rest of the cage room temp because they accidently bred in my ackies cage and i often saw them basking in his basking spot which is 120-130.

how do i seperate the pinheads from the rest of the colony or do i even need to? whats basic care for the pinheads? is it any different from older nymphs and adults?

also any other important details that i need to know for breeding them would be appreciated.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

I wouldnt use dirt substrate. just get some dirt and just spray a little water on it. Then get a ziploc container and fill it to the top. Get the lid and cut it. Then put some mesh on it so they can lay there eggs on the surface instead of digging and laying them. 120 temps are way to hot. 80-87 degrees is ideal temps for crix to grow fast. Dont use a substrate at all by the way just use glass bottom. Its way easier.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. mr~python

mr~python Member

what happens after they hatch? do they need any special care, or do i just feed them the same as the rest of the colony and everything?

Feircedsm, i wasnt gonna make their whole cage 120, i wasnt gonna make any of it 120. i said 110, and only in the basking spot. the rest of the cage would be room temp. i often see them basking in my ackies basking spot wich is in the high 120's and they accidently bred in my ackies cage so i have no idea how it would hurt them, LOL.

so basically what your saying is make a nesting box for the crix? how about if i get a container, fill it up with moist dirt, and prop a paper towel roll or egg carton against it so they can enter the nesting box and leave it as they please? why do i need mesh? whats wrong with them digging and laying their eggs? why did you say, "i wouldn't use dirt", and then say, "just get a little dirt and spray some water on it"? LOL!!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

You don't want to reuse the dirt in your ackies cage because it contains a lot of bacteria. You have have to use fresh dirt and only put it in the container for them to breed in. I meant don't use dirt as a substrate because it will just smell really bad and the eggs will be scattered everywhere. The mesh is to protect them from digging or else you don't know when they all hatch. Also when they dig and keep it down there you can't take the eggs out later on and put them in a smaller containter. After they lay the eggs take the mesh off and put the container in a seperate cage till they hatch. Your temps would be way to high for your crickets. Ideal temps for a cricket is 80-87. There is a lot of this information is previous post.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mr~python

mr~python Member

why do i have to know when they'll hatch? is there some reason i need to hatch the eggs in a seperate container?

ok, ill get different dirt.

HOW WOULD THE TEMPERATURES BE TO HIGH?! the crickets always bask at 120+ in my ackies cage! im planning on having a basking spot for them of 110 with different temperature ranges all the way down to room temerature sothey can CHOOSE how warm or how cool they want to be.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

.....Can you please read other topics if you don't want to take my word for it. First of all crickets don't bask. I know that your hide for your ackie is on the basking side which also provides a hiding spot for the crickets. Crickets don't like to be just on dirt they need something to hid on. And why in the world would you want to waste the money on a bulb when you can just leave it? Plus crickets are nocturnal they just sit there in the light and burn. Your suppose to seperate them because other crickets can look at them as food.

12. mr~python

mr~python Member

WOW, if you honestly think hides are onyl supposed to be on the warm side for monitors i would seriously hold off on getting that sav you want. LOL, the crickets would site ON TOP of the Retes stack and would bask. if you think im lieing then be a man and call me a liar.

i dont have to spend money on a bulb because i have spares.

wait a minute. you said crickets dont like to be on dirt?? are you kidding me? they could CARE LESS. what do you think they live on in the wild!?!?!

i know crickets are nocturnal but they wouldnt sit under the bulb and burn. i already told you i will be giving them i wide variety of temperatures too cool and heat up.

why would crickets look at pinhead crickets as food if they're already fed enough?!?!?!?! ive never had any crickets eat any other crickets unless they were STARVED.

13. HockeyHerper76

HockeyHerper76 Member

Just my opinion, but I dont think crickets need basking spots like reptiles...i think room temperature would probly be fine, since they dont need to bask and thermoregulate like reptiles...And I agree with Feirc, you probly should seperate the pinheads from the adults, because even though there would be food in with them, you could still run the risk of the bigger ones eating the pinheads

14. mr~python

mr~python Member

i understand they could survive at room temps BUT if i want the best results for breeding shouldnt i give them the opportunity to choose which temperature range they want?? yes, i should. we dont know what temperature the crickets wants so im going to let mine choose.

15. HockeyHerper76

HockeyHerper76 Member

Just curious, but how would putting diff temps in the enclosure get best results?

16. mr~python

mr~python Member

they would be able to choose what tempersture they want to be at??

17. HockeyHerper76

HockeyHerper76 Member

i know theyd be able to do that if u put different temperatures in there, but how would that lead to better breeding results?

18. mr~python

mr~python Member

they wouldnt be to cold or too hot. they can choose their optimum temperature..

19. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

Or they could be so afraid of the heat they would dehydrate. Or they would be all pushed to the cooler side thus cramming them in and forcing them to each other for more room. I never said that hides can only be in basking areas. I said that your hide is in your basking area which is forcing the crickets to go to the basking area. And when you use dirt substrate it will be a breeding ground for bacteria and be a lot harder to clean. You have to clean cricket cages daily or they can develop harmful bacteria.

20. mr~python

mr~python Member

your kiddding me right?? have you ever seen my monitors cage?? do know for a fact there is no hiding places in the cool area? NO, YOU DONT, so dont say there's only hides in my monitors basking site. i also said they were ontop of the Retes stack, IN THE OPEN, basking. i never said they were hiding.

your ridiculous, have you ever even bred crickets, or succesfully bred them? how do i know you're not just reading this off some webpage and telling everyone how to do it like you were doing in the monitor and tegu forum?

21. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

Actually I have bred crickets but recently stopped. Also I have read around this forum and yes i have seen your enclosure. Crickets don't bask anyways. Must you be so insisting on making the temps so high. If you dont want to take our advice then do what you want and learn from your mistakes. And just because I was trying to help someone doesn't mean I was correct. It's extremley rude though how you give wrong information about enclosure sizes and tell other people to basically shut up even though there right.

22. mr~python

mr~python Member

Feirce, what are you talking about? saying things like and 8 foot enclosure is needed for 2 ackies and feeding turkey is best and you should even mix fruits and vegetables in it, and yellow ackies are just the smaller versions of red ackies is just ridiculous. you dont own a monitor so until you have some experience i would stop giving out wrong info like crocdoc and i suggested.

23. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

Well isn't it better to correct someone so they can help. I mean not everyone knows everything. And please stay on topic.

24. mr~python

mr~python Member

well, my point is if you dont know something about caring for an animal whether it be crickets or ackies then you shouldnt be giving out advice. you should be asking questions so your questions could be answered.

25. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

Dude now your being a hypocryt(dont know how to spell it). Your asking for advice but you insisting on it but know nothing about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.