viv idea i borrowed. awesome!

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by vildotcom, Aug 11, 2005.

1. vildotcom

vildotcom New Member

i'm taking a stab at modelling my viv after this one. i'll be adding wells for some succulents. 3 hides made in this fashion for my leo. sound good?

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lizard_man_Lane

lizard_man_Lane Well-Known Member

Wow that's pretty cool. I might have to try that.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Cira

Cira Member

That's awesome!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. garybingham

garybingham Member

that viv looks so cool my corn snakes would love it

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. vildotcom

vildotcom New Member

i might get a corn snake soon and if my gecko habitat works out, i'll make one for the corn and add some additional substrate for digging and burrowing.

it's taking a while though because i'm just winging it. the styrofoam is hard to work with because i couldn't get a huge piece and just excavate the burrow. i am having to glue two maybe three pieces to make thicker layers. anybody know how to bond styrofoam? i used 3M spray adhessive and it just burned into the styrofoam. haha. what a noob! the pattern was cool though. i may use it to score the surface to make it motley.

if anybody has any advice i'd appreciate it greatly.

vil.

and oh yeah. how will i cover the iniside of the cave with grout? sheesh!

more to come. the habitat will be done next week because i'll be out of town.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Surf_Slave

Surf_Slave New Member

I want to make something like that for my scorpions. What is the cave thing made out of? How would I go about building that?

12. LeoGeckos-Rule

LeoGeckos-Rule Member

vildotcom what type of snakes are they

13. Keno

Keno New Member

I think Cerastes cerastes... (Horned viper)
    They are venomous.

Grtz Keno.

14. spurs

spurs New Member

Wow! I lover what you've done with that little hide, where the snakes go throught that hold to get down there. That is excellent.

I might try this out for BD's.

Great Design!
    Keep up the good work.
    spurs
    P.S. You could probably sell that substrate with the built-in hide! :D

15. diggy415

diggy415 Embryo

try gorilla glue awsome stuff never tried it on stryrofoam though

16. jimmer488

jimmer488 New Member

I use tacky glue.
    It works on anything.

17. wlowell05

wlowell05 Member

ive researched a lil about using tyhe polysterene foam (similar to styrfoam) and every where it seems to say liquid nails. u use it in a cauking gun, and it says on the bottle can be used on foam. so that should work, its what i plan on using for my fake rock when i get to that step. but thats an awesome viv. as everyone else has said... may try to figure out something similar for my leos...

18. wlowell05

wlowell05 Member

ive researched a lil about using tyhe polysterene foam (similar to styrfoam) and every where it seems to say liquid nails. u use it in a cauking gun, and it says on the bottle can be used on foam. so that should work, its what i plan on using for my fake rock when i get to that step. but thats an awesome viv. as everyone else has said... may try to figure out something similar for my leos...

19. wlowell05

wlowell05 Member

oh can u post instructions once u figure it out? i'd love to see how u did it!

20. vildotcom

vildotcom New Member

sorry for the confusion guys. the picture i posted is not my setup. keno was right on about the type of snake the owner keeps though.

i am currently working out the kinks on my similar leopard gecko habitat. mainly, how to get the formed styrofoam into the ten gallon i have AND how to cover it. should i cover with my grout before putting into the aquarium, or grout before and also after to fix it into place.

let me know the best way. im thinking i'll cut the piece down the middle in order to get the dang thing in, so bulky. grout the insides of the cave, and then install and continue to grout.

21. AsylumClerk

AsylumClerk Embryo

where do you get the styrofoam to do it and is there any special type to use?

22. wlowell05

wlowell05 Member

u can try a hardware store like lowes or something. i'm using polysterene foam, its alot like styrofoam but less messy

23. LeoLover18

LeoLover18 New Member

does it come shaped like that or do you have to buy a big chunk of it and cut it into that shape? I really want to try this for my leo, and I have no idea how to go about making it. Once it's done, I might put that repti carpet down on top of it as a substrate. Does that sound viable?

24. verycrazygirl

verycrazygirl New Member

Waow its really great! Isn't it hard to clean tho?

25. BigZ3788

BigZ3788 Well-Known Member

You can do they same thing with wood box hides and substrate, then that way the setup isnt permanant.