Vietnamese Calote

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by i_3_Scooter, Jan 10, 2006.

1. i_3_Scooter

i_3_Scooter New Member

hey there, really need information on Vietnamese Calote's, because i can't find any info anywhere. i can find picture's and places to buy them, but i can't find any information as to sizes, habitats, diets, anything like that :). they look from the pictures about in the bearded dragon, and mountain horned dragon size area, but if they're smaller than that it will seal the deal. they're on the inventory sheet at my local pet store so they can order them but the owners don't know what they are either :-S. and i'm not gonna order it to find out that i can't care for it correctly. http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/sho...ead.php?t=15791 here's a link to a very nice pic i found of one. it's a really pretty lizard that i'd love to own, but again, i can't find diddly-squat on it :).

Nate

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. i_3_Scooter

i_3_Scooter New Member

*NOTE* only using that site for a picture, it's not where i'm trying to purchase them from, lol

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. damnitbonnie

damnitbonnie New Member

i have a book called agamid lizards, keeping them in captivity. wrote in 1996. it has a few paragraphs on them. they are also known as bloodsucker lizards. they need a tropical/woodland set up. temps are 80-85 with basking at 95. very slight night time drops. they need full spectrum lighting plus calcium and vitamins. they are aboreal so alot of climbing places (vines and perches) they eat superworms, mealworms, crickets, pinkies, and other small lizards. high humidity. it doesn't say moving water but my mountain horned dragons need that. related species are c.cristatellus and c.mystaceus. i think your picture is c.versicolor. thier cage needs to be on the large side. probably taller is of more concern than floor space as for mhd.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. damnitbonnie

damnitbonnie New Member

google c.versicolor. theres an article about them establishing in florida. where in michigan are you? just curious

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. i_3_Scooter

i_3_Scooter New Member

hey, thanks very very much :D that was really helpful. it means i'll most likely not get one right now, but it's for the best really. i have two homes here in MI, home home in Cadillac, but i go to school at Lake Superior State in Sault Sainte Marie, which isn't bad, it just means i have to leave the country anytime i need food, lol :(.

-Nate

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. damnitbonnie

damnitbonnie New Member

it also means you could get very cold or lost in a snow drift. be carefull up there. :)

12. i_3_Scooter

i_3_Scooter New Member

hahaha! well, halfway through my third year my chances of continued survival in bitter sault winter is pretty high :) lol. it is rather irritating that there are no pet stores on this side of the bridge, but three on the other side in canada, lol, where i happily added a golden gecko and a chinese water dragon to my repetoire yesterday :).

13. Daniellepell

Daniellepell Embryo

There tail will get up to 13 inches long but there bodys only get 3-5 inches :) i have to of them they eat crickets and acationaly salad

14. CitrusDragon

CitrusDragon New Member

be careful with calote's. they are usually wild caught.
    so far most of the ones i have seen have had mites or infected open wounds :D

15. bruno

bruno Moderator

The last 2 posters may not get any replies.
    This topic is 3 years old

16. Jazeira

Jazeira Embryo

Do you still have calotes ( or anyone )?

First, I got a pair of calote versicolor lizards last week ( a male and a female ). The male looked very plump and healthy. The female was a little thin, but has at least three longish bulges at her stomach that look like she is gravid. Realizing she will probabIy lay eggsd, I have been worried about the female the past week trying to find any info on egg temps and gestation period but I can't find that information! The only info I have found states that 10-20 eggs will be laid in damp soil and that incubation is 6 to 7 weeks. But at what temps? Does anyone know?

Now I am even more concerned (and very upset) because I found the male dead last night. He looked perfectly healthy! Please, if there is any help you can give... the female is hardly as healthy looking as the male was. What precautions should I take? She doesn't seem at all interested in eating, just lapping up water. I mixed in some phelsumax into the water I sprayed last night and she lapped it up, but is there any more I can do?

Also, should I go ahead and clean out the entire cage (since the male died)? I am thinking I should, but at the same time I don't want to stress her too much.