very aggressive

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by growinlox, Jan 5, 2010.

1. growinlox

growinlox Embryo

ive had my a iggy a whole week now, and this guy isnt letting up on being a mean @ss at al. i dont know why or whats wrong. one day hell let me hold him all night and fall asleep in my hand then the next day hes charging me and whacking his tail evry chance he gets i dont know if i should take him back to the store or is it something im doing wrong, hes about 20 inches from head to tail so hes young so does anyone have any sugestions

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Darklightangel013

Darklightangel013 New Member

Some Iguanas take a while to get used to people. Don't give up on him. You have to a bit stern with handling, don't let his feisty attitude stop you from handing him. If you give in and let him scare you then he'll always act that way when ever he doesn't want to be bothered. Give him some more time to settle in, perhaps gradually increasing the length of time you handle him.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. adastraabextra

adastraabextra Embryo

My boyfriend and I have a green iguana and it was very aggressive at first too, a lot of tail whipping. I wouldnt worry too much at all because this is very normal when you first get one, even a young one. Sometimes it can take a while, even several months to "tame" an iguana. The only thing I would worry about is keeping yourself from getting whipped too much. They wont do much damage now, but can when they are older. Just try to holdhimfor about maybe 20 minutes a few times a day,and it should get better over time. Good luck!! :D