veiled chameleon caging

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by reptilenut77, Jul 6, 2004.

1. reptilenut77

reptilenut77 Embryo

I was wondering if someone could help me I was thinking of going with a 4' tall tank but my dad wants a 3. which would be best. and i was wondering if anyone had good plans so i could build a cage for him.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. caliking

caliking New Member

4ft would be better as chameleo calypratratus like a lot of space. The cage could either be a glass viv or a reptarium which are ideal for veilds. it should be kitted with live plants such as ficus, weeping fig and money plants. Make sure these arte sprayed 3 times a dayfor added humidity in the tank. Remember the bigger the tank the better.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. caliking

caliking New Member

for buliding the viv use safety glass that can be bought from a diy store. Use fish tank sealant to glue the glass together. Use a wire mesh lid for the top so the ventilation is good. good look with your viv building.
    Lee

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. cheriT3719

cheriT3719 New Member

Veiled chams do not do well in glass. They need a fresh air environment. My husband built a 6'x3'x2' enclosure out of aluminum and screen. The next one he will do with wood, aluminum was hard to work with. The bigger the better, they really do need a lot of room to climb (and hang upside down). By the way, reptariums work well. You would need a really big one, but they are nice.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. vtbigyellow

vtbigyellow Embryo

definitely do not use glass for your veiled. it will be constantly stressed by seeing its reflection and will likely paw for hours trying to get through the glass... they arent the brightest of lizards :wink: but youre right in wanting to go with the 4ft high cage, they need a lot of climbing room~