UTH hotspots?

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by jammer, Dec 2, 2005.

1. jammer

jammer Member

So, I changed her humid hide to a different one, and the digital thermometer probe moved about an inch from where it was. Now the thermometer says it is 96.6. It had been reading 92. Has anyone else noted varying temperature readouts from their uth depending on where the temp probe is?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

I have seen that. My girls love to kick the probe around, so I'm constantly trying to find a spot that they won't move it from. But depending on where over the UTH it is, and what part of the probe is touching, you'll get a slightly different reading. That's why it's always best to check everything with a good thermometer.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

That is pretty common jammer. The temps are not consistant across the surface of a UTH. You are going to have a couple degree difference across different areas of it. Not really anything you can do about it.

That is really another good reason to always use a thermostat with your heating devices. The temps in a small area briefly jumping up 97 degrees is not going to be a problem. If they were like that constantly you would really need to address the situation.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jammer

jammer Member

Yeah, my Zubi seems to know when to move out of her humid hide to cooler climes. I think I will try some scientific stuff using an IR temp gun.