URO AVAILABILITY

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by stuartcb, Jan 4, 2009.

1. stuartcb

stuartcb Embryo

Hi everyone,
    you have probably heard this a lot but im new to uro's and would like to find out where the best place to get uro's from is. Nearest to where i live.
    I live in the newcastle area north east england.
    Any info would be appreciated.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    Welcome to the forums, I live in Yorkshire, although this site a mainly American based there's a lot of us Brit's here :D
    To answer your questions.
    Animal Allsorts at Heaton, they do have a web site but it hasnt been updated since 2005. I have no idea what they are like. Link They do have a caresheet for uro's but please ignore it, it is less than useful with incorrect info.

There is also Coast to Coast in Darlington, this is a good shop, have been there and checked it out, they do breed a lot of their own stock. The last update in December they had Mali's and Sarahan in stock. Link
    I own an egyptian uro, if you need any help with setup etc please ask there are plenty of people here than have them. Dont believe everything the pet shop tells you they are very often wrong. Do a lot of research before you get one.
    Hope this helps

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. stuartcb

stuartcb Embryo

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. stuartcb

stuartcb Embryo

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for the reply very helpful. Know where Coast to Coast is and may have a pop down at the weekend.
    I have a pair(male and female) i think, of ocellated. I came across these by accident and now fancy a pair of a larger species
    but havent had much luck in finding any. But will keep trying.

I spent weeks researching these lizards before i actually bought mine and know what you mean about conflicting info.
    Any info on how to sex the ocellated for sure would be appreciated.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    Dont know if you are aware but uro's need huge spaces, you dont say if you are keeping them together. If they are together be prepared to seperate if fighting or dominance occur, otherwise you will have a sick uro on your hands.
    Ocellated, Mali's and Saharan's all grow to about 14" to 18", only the Egyptian's grow larger, anything up to 2ft+.
    Sexing uro's is the most difficult thing and they are usually adult before you can tell. If you look at the vent there will be two bulges either side this indicates a male but only a trip to vet for probing is the only sure way of knowing. If they are identical in size then the males head will be slightly broader, but that again is no guarantee.
    Unfortunately they will know what sex they are before you do and if they breed could cause problems for female if she's too young.
    To see them laid on top of each other it may look "cute", but in fact it's a case of dominance, the one on top has the best basking spot and access to the UV etc.
    I apologise if you are already aware of this, but so many people make the mistake of thinking they "love" each other.
    Sorry it's not a more definite answer.