Upgrade to 20gal tank

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by DevintheReptileWhisperer, Aug 26, 2013.

1. DevintheReptileWhisperer

DevintheReptileWhisperer New Member

I just upgraded to a 20gallon tank (with a lock in lid with 6'' by 6'' smaller locking lid included)$63, got a mat $10, an artificial rock hide $12,
    And a basking light $10,so here are some pictures

Attached Files:

Cammy likes this.
  2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. DevintheReptileWhisperer

Some more

Attached Files:

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. DevintheReptileWhisperer

Now that I have a 20 gallon terrarium I have a 10 gal with mat and mesh lid that I need to sell and I wouldn't ask this much if I didn't need an incubator, (i saw sunny and speckles doing something I don't think I should have seen) anyhoo I do have a tank so anyone in northern GA who doesn't mind coming to pick it up(I can't ship it) plz reply!!!!!!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. DevintheReptileWhisperer

I'm charging $50 because really need the incubator

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

I've moved these posts to a new thread to start a side discussion.

From your photos it looks like you have 2 very young leos. While the tank looks great and I'm glad that you've upgraded to the 20 gallon tank I must forewarn you that having already seen your leopard geckos mating you will need that second tank very soon.
    I would suggest moving one of the geckos in to the 10 gallon tank ASAP. Because your female is so young it would be extremely detrimental to her health if she is already gravid so by moving her now you will hopefully be able to separate them in time. Females that are too young or not of the correct weight with enough calcium and fat stores have a very high mortality rate due to egg binding, starving, calcium crash, and getting MBD because of the taxing nature of a "pregnancy" on the body.

If your female has already become gravid then you will need the tank to keep the hatchlings until you can sell or give them away.

I'm not going to go too far in to it because I don't have time right now but please please separate them, at least until she is old/big enough to breed (if that's your intent).

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. DevintheReptileWhisperer

I have three leos actually and as far as I can tell the two smaller ones are male and the 7 inch "speckled one is female,is she to small to lay eggs at 7 inches??? Please please please respond!!!!!!

12. DevintheReptileWhisperer

By smaller ones I meant sunny,(Orange 25% carrottail) and Gek(ghost?) Sunny is big enough to tell he is a boy, but gek is appearing to be one ( barely noticable V shaped pores witch I know can mean female if not more obvious,and hat appears to be hemipenal bulges) gek is the one in my current profile pic

13. DevintheReptileWhisperer

Sorry! My mistake! Speckles is 6 inches not 7. Sunny is 5 and a half inches, and gek is 4.75 inches. Is spec too small at 6 inches? Pleeeeeeeeeeeezzz respond!!!!

14. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

She needs more fat to properly breed and not keel over on you. Seven inches is average size but you should seperate ALL your gecko's. You shouldn't even be breeding if your not prepared. Breeding costs money and time. If she's under 15 months she's to young anyway. As for your young males. Seperate them too. Males hate each other and will kill one another. So 3 tanks man. Eggs this round if not incubated are just trash till your actually ready. Sorry if I come out mean but I believe you should of asked more questions and learned more about your reptiles and keeping before you bought them. Also where is the moist hide? All I see is three hides in that tank. None of them will hold moisture very long with all that open space. Why are you using day lights? Why are you using lights at all? Black reptile night lights are fine if your house gets that cold and the UTH is not enough. But day lights? Day light hurts leo's eyes. THe eyes are very sensitive. Shut those off and replace them.

naykid likes this.
  15. DevintheReptileWhisperer

Ok thank you for the advice! 1 the middle hide is the moist hide and I put warm water on the moss inside about 2-3 times a day. 2 i am not using a "day" light I am using a low brightness heat lamp (my camera just makes it look realy bright) because I am on a very low budget I can not at the time afford a heat pad.3 i bought spec two years ago come Christmas and she was already about a year and a half old when i bought her. And by the way I am not as much of a nOob as you might think, I don't know everything but I can handle myself. Thanks again for the advice it is greatly appreaceated.

16. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

Low brightness heat lamp = day. Turn it black easier on the eyes. Also use a plastic plate with wet paper towels and leave it in there. A warm water bath is pretty worthless and constantly submerging in it causes rot. Thats why fake moss or coconut fiber is used. They aren't sitting in water they are just sitting on something moist. Only time I see a bath needed is when they are impacted.

Get a heat pad. Leo's do not and I repeat do not take heat from the top. They take heat from their stomach to digest food. You'll end up with more problems than you know. If you say your not a NOOB than take the advice and do it right. All you did was show a little tude. All I did was give you correct advice. Any leo owner and breeder would tell you the same things I just told you. I hope you didn't look at a Pet Co/Pet smart/Pet land/Leo's for dummies care sheet cause they are technically 90% inaccurate. Take my advice..screw your budget and do it right. So you don't eat for a few days. That's much better than letting your animals suffer because you refuse to do it correctly.

17. DevintheReptileWhisperer

There is no need to get mad at me because I did not dis you're advice! I know they get heat from their belly and that is why I have the rock hide double tasking as both moist hide (inside) and basking spot (top because it absorbs the heat and they can lay on it to absorb heat from their belly!

18. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

Heh you got snippy first so I just returned the favor. UTH is the best way to go. The light deal isn't. That pretty much sums it up. If your not going to take care of your leo's correctly than I feel bad for them. Im not here for a war if you want to continue this conversation message me. If you think you know better than I...Ask any Leo owner what is the best setup and they will tell you. A better moist hide is one that is its own unit. Use a plastic container with a hole on top filled with moist napkins and you will have a better moist hide. You also don't have a warm hide. You only have a basking spot. They don't bask.

19. DevintheReptileWhisperer

Ok thank you! I think you are giving me an adult labe though, I wish I could be paid to not eat and pay for my geckos because I love them like my own children, but alas, my " low budget" is no allowence ,can't get a job for another 2 years (I'm 14) and I barely get 20 dollars (which I spend solely on food for my geckos) for Christmas, I want to take care of my geckos as well as I can and by basking spot I mean the middle hide sucks up the heat from the lamp and they can lay their belly on it and get nice and warm, currently, my geckos are warmer than me! And I use the "day" lamp only in the daytime,not at night, because I know it is essential for them to have a day night cycle, at night they had a light that their eyes could not pick up but humans could so they could be active but still be warm. I know I need a heat pad and I am currently saving up for one but right now all I can do is the rock hide for belly heat. PS. The substrate pad I have also tends to absorb enough heat for my hand to feel warm,

20. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Easy there killers. We're all trying to do what's best for the leos :) Although UTH is the best way, they are expensive, and a heat lamp is better than no heat, so keep doing what you're doing and definitely make sure the right size under tank heater is on your Christmas wish list or purchase plans in the future.

Also, a really good, and super cheap, humid hide can be made out of a cheap tupperware - just cut a 2" diameter hole on the side or top of the container and fill with moss, ecoearth, papertowel, etc. and spray with water once a day or so.

Back to the initial issue - are you housing the 2 of them together?

naykid likes this.
  21. naykid

naykid Member

I just wanted to say thanks for this posting & conversing back and forth....it made me smile do what you can with the money you have available to care for your leos,& please don't breed.....it sounds fun & it is, i breed ALOT! you're bringing life into this world & you need to be sure you can care for all your leos if you cannot sell them, or give them away. Some day you may be at a place in your life to properly do this & that's when you will...good luck & sticky's question, are you keeping them together? if so please separate them, they really do so much better when kept singly (no competition for food).....keep us informed on your status & keep posting;)

StikyPaws312 likes this.
  22. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

Just looking back at this. Well do what you can but you really need to get your tanks situated. Your young you'll learn. Sorry if I came out to strong. Im very into proper reptile care and it pains me to see when people don't do it. Try to get a themometer that reads ground temp. That would give you your best measurement. They cost like 8 bucks and its basically just a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe. I use a gun that reads the temps which you can also get on amazon for 16 bucks (last time I checked I saw one there). Also as these two have said. Cheap humid hide is easy to set up. Thats what I use. And breeding cost money as Naykid could tell you. Hell I just saw his other post. He's got a awesome setup for breeding (I was thinking of breeding my Freya but Im a bit protective of her and she will die a virgin! lol)

23. naykid

naykid Member

That's the spirit Godzillagecko...well said;)