Update...Kind of Long, but VERY IMPORTANT

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by lturbott, Aug 21, 2004.

1. lturbott

lturbott Member

First I need to start by saying that we are saddened that a mere 25 people read the original post. Now on to the update concerning the giving as "prizes" at the local fair of iguanas.

I spent all Friday from 6am-5pm calling and emailing everyone from the local level such as the Humaine Society, which refered me to the Animal Control who said they would "look into it". Which means they are going to do nothing, is what that comes down to really. I did get a call from them later in the day to say they had talked to a "vet" and he said as long as the iguanas had food and ventilation that was all they needed! I about had a coronary. I explained to the lady that is NOT the case, and I don't know what vet she talked to but there isn't a herp vet in this town and that iguanas require a lot more than that! I then got ahold of a reputable vet and he told me to have her call him and he would explain how it really is. We will see how that goes.

I then called the USDA, the Wildlife Resources, because they love passing the buck here, the Chamber of Commerce, and then the Health Dept. who said they had been at the fair checking the food booths and weren't aware of the iguana give-away. He sounded genuinely concerned and said he was going to make some calls and see what he could do about the situation, IF there was anything he could do. I have yet to hear from him again.

Then I called the fair board itself, to let them know what was going on right on their property and the risk that children and the reptiles themselves were up against. They were not the least concerned, they said that they contract the property to the amusement company and that whatever they do is their business. Again, coronary time! If a child who "won" this prize, contracted salmonella from this reptile, they could be held responsible, whether they contracted the property or not. After all it is THEIR property. So, here it is Saturday and I am taking up where I left off yesterday. Not sure how many people I can contact today but we are making plans to find out if we can be at the gate and hand out fliers on iguanas. We have some great people on a few groups on here that are helping in this situation. But we need more help.

I am sure everyone here is passionate, lets hope we can all band together and make something happen. We need to start a petition, we need to get fired up and protect the reptiles. What you can do to start:

1. Check out your local fairs and carnivals make sure they are not doing this live animal give-away.

2. Start something NOW, get ahold of your Mayor and city council, make sure that these people will not be doing this when your local fair/carnival comes to town. I have heard quite a few times in the last day or so that we need to stop it BEFORE it starts. So plan now for next year.

3. Do like we are doing, we have found out the route which the Amusement company is taking, we are bombarding the local government, newspapers and so on with calls, emails and letters to let them know the risks of such "prizes". Not only to the reptiles and animals themselves, but to the unsuspecting people who are "winning" them.

If we all band together we can get something done. And we need to get something done here. Please...

Read my quote...it says alot.