unsure to get a iggy

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by theherpotoloigist, Dec 1, 2010.

1. theherpotoloigist

theherpotoloigist Embryo

:p i want to get a iggy but the main problems are agressivness and size my dad said i could get 1 but after another pet dies i have time to research i have beardes but there alot diffrent so i thought i would come to you guys first

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Welcome to the forums,

It's my experience that many reptiles can calm down with regular handling, particularly if reared from an early age so they get the chance to get to know you and interact with you. This is a relatively general situation though, the instincts and natural habits of a species/animal are always there and there are never gurantees. Some animals will tame down to become very docile pets, others may stay defensive their entire lives. It's my understanding that iguanas can also be territorial and can develop different behavior around breeding season...correct me if I'm wrong or being ignorant, simply heard this by word of mouth.

An iguana is a massive responsibility, they need extremely large enclosures, expensive lighting, and this is an animal that you will have under your care for a long time (perhaps 20+ years?). If you feel you have the resources and time to work with this animal, then it may be the right pet for you, but please continue to do research as you are now = ) you can never stop learning...I've been keeping reptiles for over a decade now and I still learn something new almost every day.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. iguana20s

iguana20s Embryo

this is very true if you ever stop learning you anit living. iguanas are not for everyone and can be aggresive but they can also be the kindest sweetest animal youve ever had. they can live to be 20 years old. grow to 31/2-6 feet long and need a big cage! for a cage i would start out with a 3 feet high 3 feet long 18 inches deep. this is a good size cage for a baby- sub adult for an adult they will need a 6 feet high 4-5 feet long and 2-4 feet deep. iguanas are aboreal meaning they live mostly in the trees so haveing the cage higher or equal to the length is recommended. they eating most leafy greens such as mustard greens turnup green kale and dandelion greens. they will need 60%-70% greens 20%-30% veggies and 5%-10% fruits with multi vitamin and calcium with no phosphores powder sprinkled on there food ever other feeding. for all your iguana needs vistit green iguana society for taming a iguana i use the C.A.T witch has work well for me. you will also need lighting is the most most expensive thing for your iguana id say. youll need a 150 watt basking lamp and they will need a good uvb/uva bulb for all your lighting need visit reptile uv