underbite

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by happypotomus, Nov 5, 2010.

1. happypotomus

happypotomus Embryo

ive been trying to do some research on underbites because i've noticed my girl has a slight one.. but no other problems at all. she's active and loves to eat! :) oh, her jaw also shuts nice at tight.. she seems healthy to me, but i can't really find any good info on why she would have an underbite except MBD but she has no other "deformities" than this slight underbite...

any help/adive is much appreciated!
    thaks :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

One of my cresties had a slight underbite but it was definitely from MBD (I had saved him from Petco where he definitely wasn't getting the treatment he was supposed to). He had 2 little kinks in his tail too which really confirmed the slight MBD he had. It could also just be genetics for your little guy. If you were planning on breeding him I wouldn't just in case...

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. happypotomus

happypotomus Embryo

thanks much! i was, but I think I'll pass. :) She's had it since i've had her. the place where I got her just had a bowl of calcium in there (CGD too) and the others she was with were bigger than she was too.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Underbites aren't always a result of MBD, or any disease for that matter. Furthermore, they are not always a genetic issue, so as long as the parents have otherwise good structure and it hasn't been proven genetic by their line, you would probably even be safe to breed down the road. I noted Anthony Caponetto had a juvie from his Chips line that had a very slight underbite, and he assured the buyer that it was not genetic and would likely dissapear with age.

Some baby rhacs just have them, just like people and other animals =) Sometimes they grow out of it over the course of their lives, but sometimes they don't. Regardless it shouldn't affect his health or feeding, and it's great to see an owner who is willing to look past a minor cosmetic imperfection and appreciate the animal for what it really is =)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. happypotomus

happypotomus Embryo

thanks for your input! C: Unfortunately, I don't know what her parents look like or if they have underbites as well. :C But that's okay, I'm plenty happy having her as a wonderful pet. C: