Two questions.

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by sidewalkproject, Jul 27, 2008.

1. sidewalkproject

sidewalkproject Embryo

How many meal worms should one purchase in order to get a good chance at raising a decent sized breeding colony? As of right now I've roughly got about 250 giant meal worms. Though I will be feeding out of the container as time goes on. Also, what sized tub should I put them in?

Second question, anyone know of a place to order feeders online/over phone that is located in Nevada?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ikermalli

ikermalli Well-Known Member

Don't use giant mealies, they are genetically enhanced, and are supposed to be worse for your reptile

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

By giant mealworms do you mean superworms? Breeding them is entirely different than breeding regular mealworms.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. sidewalkproject

sidewalkproject Embryo

No, I have superworms for my larger two geckos, but these are mealworms that are about an inch long.
    (It took me almost a year of eyeing superworms to actually buy those. They creep me out.)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

generally.. giant mealworms do not change to beetles..they are not genetically enhanced.. just given a hormone to keep them from turning into beetles.. If you want to breed mealworms.. just get standard mealworms.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. sidewalkproject

sidewalkproject Embryo

I've actually had no problem getting my giant meal worms to beetles. ;) That's really odd. Maybe because on average my bedroom is constantly 85 degrees. :( That's really weird.

I get the giants because I can get them in tubs of 100 vs 25 of regular meal worms at my petco.

But still, how many would I need to start a good colony of breeding?