trying to find a clear water proof sealent

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by issac, May 23, 2004.

1. issac

issac Embryo

Hey guys, I'm working on a backdrop for my viquarium, and am having troubles finding a clear nontoxic sealent for a top coat, the issue being that it has to be waterproof as it is both above and below the water line, and seriously non toxic :) thanks for any help, and I'll be sure to post some pics when it's finally done.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. adam2373

adam2373 Member

what is the viv made out of? most viv's are glass and you can put the background on the outside. is it glass or wooden cage?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. cheriT3719

cheriT3719 New Member

It might be easier to put it on the outside of the tank.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. smiles

smiles New Member

Have you tried aquarium sealant (obviously water proof though Im not certain that its 100% clear) or acyrlic sealant (this one I've seen and its clear though Im not certain its waterproof or not youd have to check on that)?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. issac

issac Embryo

Thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately placing outside of the viv won't work because there are ledges and planters built in. I called a local pet store today that has a lot of elaborate setups and asked them what they used, and they recommended fiberglass resin, or marine paint (avalable clear) so I'll be looking in to those options. Hopefully they will pan out.