Tree Boa's (links to some AWESOME pics)

Discussion in 'Boas' started by deydey, Apr 24, 2008.

1. deydey

deydey Member

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. deydey

deydey Member

RE: Tree Boa

Anybody own a tree boa?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. CoexistExotics

CoexistExotics New Member

One warning. They are not friendly, and are VERY hard, if not impossible to tame as adults. They are beautiful animals, but like to be left alone. They tend to be fairly easy to care for, but not great for a beginner. All boas enjoy climbing, but these guys are strictly arboreal and hardly ever LEAVE the trees.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. deydey

deydey Member

Why are they so vicious? What are the best boa's to start with then?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. CoexistExotics

They just tend to be very territorial and just don't like to be touched. The calmest boas, I find, are rosys (and they are small, 2-3 feet long), and red tails.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. deydey

deydey Member

So even if I got a tree Boa at a young age it will most prob still be very aggresive?

12. CoexistExotics

I have only heard of one case where someone was able to tame their tree boa. So most likely, yes, but if you are willing to work with it A LOT, there is always a chance.

13. deydey

deydey Member

oh ok thanks im not sure then i really do like the look of them though...

14. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

i guess they're a bit too hard to tame right??
    because they always live in the trees right?
    they hardly ever leave the tree
    and the may bite because they're teritorial..

15. deydey

deydey Member

Yeah they appear to be excellent to look at but not as great to handle like red tail boas etc.

16. adamm

adamm Embryo

Anyone here that has posted have any personal experience or is it just something you read? *sigh* experience lacks of the uneducated. 24 years of experience and yes adult arboreals can be taught to tolerate handling just like all snakes tolerate handling.

17. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

thats what i read. books lead to educations. before talking about experience not many like u own them.

btw deydey

maybe its better for you to keep a solomon tree boa. they're relatively calm and its small. the colours are not too bad, dark brown with some light brown..
    just see mine in my elune- slomon tree boas topic..

18. bodom85

bodom85 Member

The key thing to remember is there are always and I man ALWAYS exceptions to the rule. Green tree pythons are supposed to be one of the meanest snakes around. For the most part thats true, but I have owned more than one where I could reach in and pick it up with no problem. If you don't mind being nailed a few times and have time to work with the snake they it should be fine. Get it as a baby, take a few wacks when it wont hurt much at all, tame it down and have a nice workable adult. Remember it takes time. You also have to understand that it may not always want to be bothered and they will give you signs to read, the key is learning these signs so you dont take a bite.

If we all took peoples' word about things being to hard to care for or to mean to handle, then we'd all be keeping ball pythons and corn snakes. If you've got time and patience then there is always an exception.

19. VinnyD

VinnyD New Member

The best Boa to start with is one you have done extencive reaserch on captive husbandary and look for the best stock you can find. Ask to see the parents of the snake or pictures, ask and see if they have feeding and shedding records for the snake for sale. IMHO a nice CBB Common Colombian Boa (BCI) would be a great choice. They are very hardy captives and tend to be very friendly. Aborial Boa's are most of the time nasty as hell, their much harder captives due to feeding, and general captive husbandary. Hope this helps out a bit!!!