Toe shed. and question

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Stormphyre, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Stormphyre

Stormphyre Member

Or lack there of toe sheds. I've tried the warm water soaking, and q-tips... but I still can't get some of it off. Anyone have any other suggestions? D:

Not that I'm really going to do this, but out of pure curiosity, does anyone think leopard geckos would eat fish or little ghost shrimp? I'm thinking the scales, and bones might pose a bit of a problem from a fish.. and might be too fatty, but as for the ghost shrimp, I haven't a clue. Just a curious thought.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

I wouldn't do it. They are meant to eat insects, not fish and shrimp. I've never looked it up, but since it's not something natural for them, it may actually harm them.

I don't have any other advice for the toes, how long has it been?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Stormphyre

Stormphyre Member

Sunday should make it a week since she's shed completely.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

Leopard geckos are meant to eat insects so keep their diet to just that. You really need to get the skin off of the toes and quickly. Soak the gecko's feet for a while and use qtips to gently try to peel it off. If that does not work you may have to gently remove it with your hands but defiently try the soak and qtip first. Let the gecko soak for a good ten minutes or so, for a few seconds is not enough to loosen it up.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

Just keep at it with the soaks and Q-tips, try your best to get it all off. If you have to, soak her a few times a day. You really have to have it off by the next shed, that's when it will start to build up and become a serious problem, so it is important to get it off now.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

I agree with clem, but this is seriuos because it could be a good month to the next shed, and that is just to long to wait.

12. Stormphyre

Stormphyre Member

Yeah that's what I'm worried about. And she hates sitting still long enough for me to mess with them! Silly gecko.
    Hey, Clem, have you always been a mod and I'm just now noticing or is this a new thing? xx'
    And no, I'm not going to try to feed fish to my gecko. I think the flopping around would scare her off anyway, I just wanted some other thoughts on it. (no, i'm not trying to start some drama and controversy, i was just purely curious!)

13. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

She just got the promotion! :D No problem with the food question :)

14. Gyko_The_Leo

Gyko_The_Leo Member

Stormphyre............just keep the moist hide (moist) and your leo won't have any problems shedding............it makes the skin real soft so its easy to peel off.............What happens when stay in the water too long your fingers get a wrinkly and soft...............that's what happens to the leo's skin........... :D

15. Stormphyre

Stormphyre Member

I don't know if she's always had problems shedding, I've only had her ..almost four weeks now I think, but this first shed has been utterly CRAZY. It took her a week to get to the point where she could actually shed. She didn't turn white all together. First she got a white spot on her nose that I thought was just some calcium. Looked again a little later and noticed her toes were white and it wasn't coming off. Check again the next day, she had a white spot on her head and at the tip of her tail, and slowly over the course of a week, she'd get white around the rest of her body. It started on Sunday, on Thursday she was starting to peel some, Friday she kicked the part piece over her head off, Saturday she didn't really do much, and Sunday she really peeled everything off. ...Everything except for her toes obviously.

16. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

Just follow the steps I gave you and everything should be fine, how old is the gecko by the way?

17. Stormphyre

Stormphyre Member

Don't know that either :/ The guy who gave her to me told me that the pet store said they had her for about 6 months. So...6 months or more. I don't think she's quite a year, she still has some areas where you can tell her juvie-bands were. ..unless those stay permanently.

Oh, and congrats Clem :D

18. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

Well I would be more concerned with a hacthling because they are really delicate, just keep on trying it will come off eventually.

19. Gyko_The_Leo

Gyko_The_Leo Member

Stormphyre.......How hot is it on the warm side, it may be too hot and its drying out all the humidity in the tank, leo's need a little humidity to aid in shedding

20. Stormphyre

Stormphyre Member

Its 90-92ish. usually within that range. And it gets sprayed twice a day. She's in it almost constantly except for when she's eating and the like.

21. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

The temps are perfect, so you just have to work on getting that skin off the toes. No more posting go to work :D

22. Gyko_The_Leo

Gyko_The_Leo Member

What kind of substrate are you using in your moist hide......maybe....you should try something else.......also is the hole in the hide to big.....it should be just wide enough for your leo to fit otherwise all the humidity will escape.

23. Stormphyre

Stormphyre Member

Paper towel. And the hole is wide, not tall.

24. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

Papertowels are fine, though they dry out alittle quick, they are exactly what I use.

25. Gyko_The_Leo

Gyko_The_Leo Member

You should try something else that does not dry out quick.....you can always go back to paper towles