Timor Monitors?

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by mrj, Sep 19, 2004.

1. mrj

mrj New Member

I cannot seem to find much on these lizards. Does anyone have a link or the knowledge about these monitors? I'm curious about them because they are another dwarf monitor apparently. Here are some questions I am curious to know:

1. How big do females get?
    2. What is the minimum housing for an adult female?
    3. Is their temper manageable to handling?
    4. What should the temperature and humidity be (day and night)?
    5. Do they dig, swim, climb?

Basically a full care sheet would be appreciated. I can hardly find anything on these guys.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. mrj

mrj New Member

Thanks, do you know how big they get?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

Timor monitors reach a maximum length of 24 inches. Anything else? :p

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mrj

mrj New Member

Are they somewhat tame or can they be a little aggressive?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

Well like any herp there is going to be variations in temperament from individual to individual, but yes timors' are very tameable, especially if you get a captive bred and hand-tame from babies.

12. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i am a fan of timors but can't seem to find them anywhere. mrj if you find a good breeder let me know.

P.S.
    KaMiKaZeE what info can you give me on blue tailed monitors?

13. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

14. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

something i haven't been able to figure out is what is the difference between tegus and monitors? KaMiKaZeE you seem to be "The Monitor Guy" so any info? i know they look different face wise but the body resembles a savannah's build

15. mrj

mrj New Member

Tegus don't get that long I believe, but they do get fat or should I say fatter than most monitors.

16. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i see. the black and white tegu is a nice looking lizard

17. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

Well to be honest, I am not aware of any outstanding physical trait that distinguishes all tegus from all monitors, but really its just that they are genetically dissimilar. All monitors belong to the genetic family Varanus, while tegus belong to the family Teiidae. So you could theoretically cross-breed tegus with other tegus, and monitors with other monitors, but not monitors with tegus (without some complex genetic engineering). Thats basically it. I do love tegus too and next year I plan to add Argentine Black and Whites to my herp family. :)

18. Reptileman4life

Reptileman4life Embryo

Timmor Please HElp

Hi, please help me i was wondering if you could give me some places where i can buy a timor monitor i live in canada does anyone know any breeders/distrbutors which can ship to canada? please please help me? are they a good pet? aggresion?? full size? etc. PLEASE RESPON!:(:(

19. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

very hard to find timors. yesITis got one recently ask him for the email address of the person he bought it from. timors are naturally shy so they tend to be not that handable, but you might be able to find one that isnt that shy

20. Reptileman4life

Reptileman4life Embryo

what do you guys think about black tree monitors .. there is a breeder near me cost 300$ would they be a good first time monitor??...i want some around 2-2.5 feetish...would they need a large size terraarium?? if anyone knows anything about them please respond

21. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

they get up to 3.5ft and we discussed the rest