Three New Cresties

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by jaykemper, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Gecko_Brothel

Gecko_Brothel New Member

Personally, I would take JayHay's advise and go buy some rubbermaid containers and decorate them like she has. (Dollarstore plastic flowers are great/your real flower from the critter keeper, paper towel as substrate) make the containers cozy with enough plants that they can hide in.
    Keep them separate so that you can monitor them singly. (I forget when I advise together as I would have 100 containers right now if I housed all my hatchlings singly LOL)
    IMO, those critter keepers are not big enough for to house juvies in. I am guessing that they are not week old cresties. I house my juvies in the exo terra cages 18x18x18 when they are around 2 to 3 months old and they do great. Lots of room to roam, the find their food fine and have lots of room to catch crickets.
    Use one of the critter keepers to gutload 3/8 inch crickets and feed them at least 2 times a week. Once they discover how much fun it is to catch the crickets you will notice them eating less of the cgd.
    Betty

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

Alright, ill do that this weekend. However I was thinking of an alternative...

Is it possible to go to the craft store and just buy two styrofoam sheet type things and use them to divide the 69 gallon into three seperate parts until they get bigger in which case I can take out the divider?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

Depends on what the 69g looks like. How tall is it? Will each section be tall enough for a crestie? Keep in mind that these guys need height, not floor space, to feel comfortable. Also, how do you plan to get the foam to stay in? Tape is a bad idea, I have read horror stories about geckos getting tape stuck to them. If you can make it safe and secure and if it provides each crestie with enough height, then it could be an option. My fear is how strong each level would be. These guys are strong! I would also worry about doing anything that alters the cage for good, as if any of these little ones turn out female (or hopefully all of them!), you may be able to house them together.

The bin idea works well and is super cheap. I have 25g bins that I paid about 10 bucks each for. You don't need your bins to be this big, unless you plan on housing any adult males in them permanently. Mine are fairly elaborate bins with wheels to transport, but you can get something simple in the same size for like 5-10 dollars. You have to buy all the foliage for the big tank eventually anyways, so the only extra cost is the bins themselves. I used a drill to provide ventilation (I drilled a TON of holes) but you can also cut the front out and glue in some screening. This has been a really cheap way for me to house my young cresties, my new cresties in quarantine, and my males. I have some bins that I added large pieces of cork-bark to the back of (Little Ray's sells this stuff for like 5 bucks a piece). It actually looks really good, and provides them with more hiding spots. Again, anything you buy for the bins can eventually be transferred to the big cage, and the bins provide you with both a place to put cresties while cleaning cages, and an emergency cage for when they start showing male.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Post a pic and measurments of the cage you have and we might be better able to help you decide if it can be split, but like I said, IMO, it is much easier to just buy bins.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

This is the cage... obviously its out of date.

[​IMG]

The measurments are 36.5X18.5X20.5 (L/W/H)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. darknessheir

darknessheir New Member

I think you could section it off in 3 until they show there sex and hopefully you will end up with 2femals and one male then you could section it into 2 parts and house them next to each other.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

Thats what I am wanting :).

12. CrestedGeckoCanada

CrestedGeckoCanada Embryo

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum. I wish I had learned of this site a lot sooner it's very nerve rhacing :) when you take home new pets. There's so many ways to raise babies and juvies it can get really confusing.

When I sell Cresteds at shows I try to do my best in informing the customer it's very important. I offer my service at anytime through email, phone or my site.

I would like to give a recap on these three geckos and their homes.

I suggest keeping them in the separate enclosures for at least a month.
    Add some sticks and a small piece of cork bark for security reasons.
    The space in those containers may seem small but it really isn't for their age. They will not have to compete for food and you can monitor their feeding and get used to their care and habits.

As you’re watering the potho's plant the coco fiber will be nice and moist. The plant will thrive and this will prevent dry substrate. The soil will become naturally compacted and you will not have to worry about mouthfuls of dirt those guys are dead on hunters. Just make sure it’s packed down J

Dry substrate is a hazard but as others have recommended paper towel is another alternative. Just take the earth from the bottom, place the plant in a pot and replace with paper towel.

For feeding I offer all of my geckos crested gecko diet every night so they can regulate themselves. Crickets every other night or every third night.
    Crested Gecko diet is excellent I stick by it and you have plenty of it J

I do house my baby juvies together. Like Gecko Brothel I would have 100 containers if I didn't. They are totally fine to be placed together in a larger enclosure. Move them up as they grow. Dividing your enclosure into three sections is a good idea. The vertical Rubbermaid for when they are a bit older is also an excellent idea. Three Sons, Three Sperate enclosures. lol

On housing males together if they are raised together they will be totally fine as long as a female is not introduced. So when they are becoming noticeably sexed you could separate the females from the male to avoid added stress and early breeding. If you have two males and one female. The males can be housed together and the female separated. If you have three females you should consider buying lottery tickets J

A nice live set up would look beautiful. They will grow into fantastic geckos :)I just wanted to add my 2 cents, as I am responsible. Have a Happy Thanksgiving

13. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

Welcome Crested Gecko Canada! Happy to see you put your two cents in here seeing as how you know the situation better than the rest of us :D

As for the males, I have never heard of them being ok as long as they are raised togther. I have always been told to seperate them as soon as they start showing male. This is really interesting (I have some babies on the way, so new info I have never heard of is always appreciated). Have you successfully housed males together from hatchlings? If so, what size enclosure do you suggest?

JayKemper: That cage looks plently long, you should be able to do something in terms of dividing it. What ever you decide, let us knwo and post pics :)

14. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

Alright, well I divided the cage this weekend... havent been on the forums in a while so I couldnt look at the updates on this topic. Glad to see you found this site Crested Gecko Canada :) Now you can see their progress throughout their entire lives. I decided to go ahead and seperate the cage into three sections and here it is:

[​IMG]

Obviously the background will need to be changed at some point, but you gotta admit thats a nice Bearded dragon background :).

Also, there's no live plants in there anymore but thats just becauase I didnt have the time today, no worries I have a bunch that I am trying to form roots on.

15. Gecko_Brothel

Gecko_Brothel New Member

you did a great job on the enclosure and glad to see you have paper towel down. It is so much easier to monitor little cresties on the paper towel then on substrate and less risk of impaction.
    Now to sit back and enjoy :)
    Betty

16. mandatorychaos

mandatorychaos Member

Actually it looks good enough with the fake plants.

17. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

Looks good! Good call going to the paper towel. So how are they settling in? Any pics of the actual geckos?

18. CrestedGeckoCanada

Awesome set up. They have lots of room to grow. I am happy they are adjusting well :D

I will post about males being housed together in a new thread.

19. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

I dont have pics yet because I am just waiting for them to settle in before I start handling them, but pics will come.

20. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

Well.. I went to feed them crickets today and much to my disappointment the crickets escaped within minutes. Neither one even noticed the crickets where in the cage before they where gone. Anyone have any ideas on how to keep the crickets in the cage? I was thinking putting them in a jar like:
    http://www.reptilerooms.com/index.php?name...ight=kephy+jake

My question about that was wouldnt the crickets be able to just jump over and out?

21. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

Crickets cannot climb glass, so if they take to the jar, you will be fine. Just get one that is wide enough for the gecko to get into and out, and one that is high enough for the crix to not be able to jump out of. Otherwise, you are going to have problems as the crix are just climbing up the styrofoam and out of the cage! - they think that you have build them a nice little ramp, lol.

22. mandatorychaos

mandatorychaos Member

You can also try a gladware container if it's tall enough. That's what I'm using now. Franklin likes to sleep in his when he finishes his meal.

[​IMG]

23. CrestedGeckoCanada

I have an idea that might work.
    What if you line the styrofoam with aluminum foil or plastic wrap?
    I don't think the crickets will be able to climb that type of surface.

24. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

Well I tried putting the crickets in a cup, they where still there in all 3 cages in the morning. So I took half your idea.. I used aluminum foil to make a ledge that hooks on the top of the styrofoam, now they cant get passed that ledge and everyone is happy.