Thoth's pet store

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by hobotramp, Nov 26, 2002.

1. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Well, we stopped there again on the weekend and they still had some "Sand Agamas" (some younger ones too), as well as a couple other new ones. Once again, no idea what they really are as we looked them up, but non-existent names. Anyone ever heard of 'Guyana Collard Lizards' or 'Emerald Tree Lizards'? Not really considering buying one, but just curious if anyone else has ever heard of them.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

I've heard of Eastern Collared Lizards, but not Guyana. I'll have a hunt around. The other, sounds vaguely familiar (although I could be thinking of an Emerald Tree Boa).

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Yeah, I checked out a few search results, but nothing looked like them. I suspect it's the sam supplier they got Thoth from. I tried Emerald Swifts as well (Candy and Jeff's suggestion), but definitely not them either. How can pet stores get away with renaming herps when they are selling them. People don't even know for sure what they are getting. While I was there, a couple of guys were checking out the 'Sand Agamas' and commenting on the little 'beardies'. Does this happen at a lot of pet stores or just a few?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Well, I've seen different morphs of corn snakes mislabelled in our local pet store. One had an amelanistic labelled as a "ghost" (when ghost is actually a combination of Anerythrism & Hypomelanism). They've had a couple in the past that we weren't really sure of - when we checked the names they had 'em labelled as in the store we couldn't find 'em on the net.

That's about it though. The other stores around here are big chains (PetSmart, PetLand, etc.) PetLand never carries anything really unusual - just the standard leos, iguanas, beardies, ball pythons, jacksons chams, etc. PetSmart has the latin name along with the common name on all their animals so there's no confusion; But, again, PetSmart doesn't carry anything other than the "usual" animals.