this ok?

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by cy246, Aug 24, 2009.

1. cy246

cy246 Embryo

Is it normal for my geckos tail to be like this:

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Geckoguy52

Geckoguy52 New Member

this happens when geckos hang upside-down like your gecko is doing. this is called FTS (floppy tail syndrome). it does not affect the overall health of your gecko. there is a somewhat debate on what causes this, some people believe its because of deformed pelvic bones. while others just think it's weak tail muscles. this is acually common in cresteds. just be sure to be supplementing calcium. if you use CGD, you do not need to supplement with calcium.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Crazy4Herps

Crazy4Herps Hooked on Reptiles

It's not uncommon at all for them to hang upside down. I agree with Geckoguy, it looks like he might have FTS. I don't have any experience with it myself, but I've read a good deal on it and I don't personally believe that it is terribly harmful to the gecko, but it is something that should not be avioded, as it is by no means healthy. Add branches and stacked egg cartons to the enclosure; give him plenty of things to climb so that he uses the glass less often.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. LittleMick

LittleMick Member

What's CGD?

Mick

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Crazy4Herps

Crazy4Herps Hooked on Reptiles

Crested Gecko Diet; a type of pellet-like crestie food made by the company T-Rex.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. RIKennedy

RIKennedy Embryo

It's not pellet like... It's a powder made by repashy specifically for crested geckos. It is really good, I feed all my cresteds only CGD, nothing else.

12. crestedgeckos

crestedgeckos Embryo

CGD is also made by Komodo (although it tastes nasty) and T-rex as well as Repashy. Repashy seems to be the preferred one, it comes in all sorts of nice flavours.