This is for Beginners to the Reptile World!

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by spurs, Mar 11, 2005.

1. KrazyKelli

KrazyKelli New Member

yeah, I thought you were going to say that about the leo. But are your parents going to feed the gecko, or are you? How is the gecko going to get to the vet? Who's going to clean the tank once a week? And who's taking on all the responsibility?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. spurs

spurs New Member

I am going to feed it, get it to thevets with help of a vehicle, clean the tank and be responsable of the Lizard like I always have to if I have a pet.

So do you think I should get a Pictus Gecko?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KrazyKelli

KrazyKelli New Member

Heh, I wont help you beyond leopard gecko on this one. Find a species name, search for it on google (Species + Caresheet) and look up caresheets for that type of gecko. Just try to get a gecko that's 8 to 12 inches long (or smaller) for a 10 to 20 gal tank. Don't try to breed anything (lotta money to involve there)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

You'll get the same dropped tail thing with any lizard, some more easily than others. And if you handle them correctly then it shouldn't be a problem anyway.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

With some lizards the tail will not grow back either. Just thought I'd throw that in. :D

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. stina3246

stina3246 Member

Try a crestie.........They don't mind so much being handled. Both of mine are very docile. They're VERY cool looking. (I think they look kinda like a pteradactyl with out the wings...maybe that's why they are in the racodactylus...sorry if I spelled that wrong........family) They are hardy and somewhat less expensive then most reptiles because they don't require the same heat and lighting set up. I'm not an expert, but I have a lot of healthy reptiles. (thanks to this site!!!!!!!!)
    Follow this link to see Willow, my female crestie
    http://tinypic.com/2995yd

12. kavinos

kavinos Member

spurs.. I would recommened a leopard for you mate. Especially if you only have £5 a month with which to feed it.

13. nomad85

nomad85 Member

I know everyone is hyping a leopard gecko as a great first reptile and rightly so, but also consider a crested gecko, they are suitable for a novice and interesting enough for an expert, I plan to breed them very soon.. They dont require and lighting or heating(providing they are kept at room temp 70- no more than 80 degrees) they need a plant(live or fake to climb and hide on), and can be fed baby food and crickets or a special crested gecko diet. They arent too common yet, they were first introduced in 1994. The need an aboreal tank, taller than it is long, 20 gallons is good for 1-2 adults. They come in a variety of colors and morphs, they like most geckos are nocturnal and bright lights are a no no. they are long lived(no one really knows their life span since none have died of old age yet... it is thought to be around 15-20 years similar to a leopard gecko. A bearded dragon has much stricker needs than a crestie or leopard gecko, they need a UVB light and a 110 or more basking surface and a huge amount of crickets or other feeder bugs, It is much cheaper and easier to keep a crested or leopard gecko than a beardie, not to discourage getting a beardie when you are ready, but they arent the best first/newbie reptile. a good resource for crested geckos is http://forums.repashy.com/index.php?referrerid=144 . My first reptile was a corn snake. I highly recomend one to anyone who wants to get into the hobby:)

14. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

FYI, yes they do better with UVB lights and 110 is about as high as you want to go with your basking temps. Regardless of what you've heard from some other breeders basking temps higher than this for beardies are a big risk for thermal burns and should never be used.

15. nomad85

nomad85 Member

only use higher temps if you can offer(and monitor) a proper gradient, but the wider the gradient the better. give them a choice.

16. lizard_man_Lane

lizard_man_Lane Well-Known Member

I would definately say that the leopard gecko is probably the best beginner gecko. They are very easy to care for. They are very fun to handle also. It is cool to watch them climb on their branches and hunt food at night with a black light. I have trained mine to sleep on my chest while I watch T.V. The are so fun to have. I first started out with one. Then soon had to get three more. Thats my opinion.
    Lane

17. hrotroff

hrotroff New Member

Seriously, to summarize what everyone is saying, giving advice and all, everyone has different preferences and likes/dislikes. Do as much research as you can on different types of reptiles and make your own decision. I have a baby water dragon that I love dearly, but I have spent many weekends on the enclosure, plants, and every morning I hold him for about 15 minutes and hand feed him and change his water and at night hold him about five minutes. So, I probably spend about 45 minutes each day. If you leave on vacation you have to have someone in mind that would help babysit, too. Snakes you would not need that.

18. Will520

Will520 Embryo

If I were you, I'd get a leopard gecko. They are very easy to care for and handle.

19. nomad85

nomad85 Member

not as easy as a crested gecko... leos need a heat pad and a low wattage red basking light.. easy yes, but nothing is as easy as room temperature baby! I just got 4 cresteds:) they are adorable. definatly research whatever animal you intend to buy, and dont do it on an impulse, have a set up already ready!

20. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

He's brought a bearded dragon. His post is under photos called my lizard set-up or something like that.

21. susyq

susyq Member

in my mind the best beginners rep's are gecko's corn snakes bearded dragons california king snakes to name a few, research is the key here