Thinking about breeding

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by kornyali, Aug 18, 2004.

1. kornyali

kornyali New Member

I was thinking about breeding my Iguana one day. I just don't know how he would react to another Iguana. He has a fake iguana in the cage that he is totally in love with. lol. I still want to read up on the subject before I do anything. Just wanted to know if anyone had any tips on introducing him to a female?

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

i honestly would NOT recommend that you breed your iguana. they are already one of the most commonly abandoned, released, and abused herps. the last thing we need is MORE babies that need good homes. unfortunately, it has come to the point of euthanizing some of them because there are so many. i would encourage you to look into some other species to breed - perhaps a species that is endangered or in need of captive breeders. there are thousands of iguanas that need to be adopted right now in the U.S alone and i would just hate to see you add to the problem when you can help instead. :D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. kornyali

kornyali New Member

Oh thanks for the tip. He is happy with his rubber girlfriend anyways lol. So what kind of herps do you recommend for breeding. That would be great if I could help out with captive breeding.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Hummingbird

rubber girlfriend? lol - i do NOT wanna know . . .

as for recommending a type of herp to breed - wow. so many options.

i, personally, would LOVE to breed prehensile-tailed skinks but i just don't have the money. they are pretty endangered and are fantastic animals. some can be hard to handle, but most don't mind humans too much. they need just as much specialized care as an iguana, though - if not more.

you don't seem to be into turtles, but box turtles and many asian aquatic turtles are being hit hard by encroaching civilizations. some of the snake-necked turtles are the most endangered and north american box turtles are now even endangered! there's also blanding's turtles, the ornate box turtle, desert tortoises and gopher tortoises, yellow-blotched map turtles, spotted turtles, spiny softshell turtles, and wood turtles. as for snakes, there's the ribbon snakes and garter snakes. rubberboas, eastern hognose snakes, and great plains ratsnakes. tiger salamanders, spotted salamanders, american green tree frogs, white-lipped frogs, and fire bellied newts would be good choices for amphibians.

there are *endless* options. the problem is, the animals that need to be bred the most are often the ones that the general public is not allowed to keep or breed. the ones in the most need are often very expensive, too.

if you wanted to start breeding a herp species, own a couple of individuals of that species first - for a few years. read all you can about them and give them the biggest, best habitats you can.

whatever species you choose, make sure it is NOT the green iguana or red-eared slider - they are *everywhere*!! i also wouldn't go with leopard geckos or corn snakes - they are everywhere, too. pick something unique!! 8)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. kornyali

kornyali New Member

Yeah you can see his rubber girlfriend in the pic. He won't part with that thing. lol
    Yeah I knew about the red-eared sliders. The Iguana thing didn't dawn on me untill you said something. I'm getting a 40 gallon tank ready for some leopard geckos.....not breeding them. I see them every were.
    I will start looking up some unique critters.
    I have had many turtles but they are now living with my mom....she loves them lol. I didn't know box turtles were in trouble.
    Well thanx for the info :D

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. lturbott

lturbott Member

Thank You Hummingbird! When I first saw the title of the post I thought I was going to explode. You made the point, set and match. My husband has been researching the endangered species that are in need of breeding for a little while now. When we get more space and the money he was wanting to start something like that. There are a few that you listed that we didn't even realize were endangered. Learn something new everyday!

12. Hummingbird

no problem at *all*. i don't know if all those animas are actually considered 'endangered' - some may just be 'threatened', but they still need help. o glad to hear you're also looking into breeding endangered/threatened/needy species.

13. kornyali

kornyali New Member

I really like you website. If you get any info from your research let me know. Oh if Hummingbird is reading....if you have any info on helping let me know too.

14. iturbott

iturbott Embryo

Hiya folks,

Just a quick note to say what I am researching.
    The Cyclura is a member of the Iguana family and currently most species are critically endangered..
    For more info on them go to http://users.ids.net/~equanah/index.html and click on the Iguanid banner.

Sadly some species are already extinct and the ones you can get here are not endangered, strange that.

Would love to be able to help them now, but need to do lots more research, earn major amounts of cash, get a doctorate and then maybe, just maybe, I will be allowed to help out.

Then tomorrow we will save the world.

Cheers all

15. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i want to breed albino green (common) iguanas but i do not have $6000 for a pair =