The true green/blue cresteds

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by todds_out, Jul 9, 2007.

1. vmartino

vmartino Embryo

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: The true green/blue cresteds

To those who are posting about how they would have to do some genetic "messing around" to get blues and greens, crested gecko breeders don't have billion dollar budgets and the ability to alter genes. and as far as ball pythons and boas and such, they didn't mess with them to get the colors in them, the pigments were always present, if you understand what im trying to say. Lastly, albinos and the other color morphs you see are not necessarily a result of inbreeding. There are many different bloodlines in the boa and ball python breeding business. I just wanted to say something because it seems like some of you think breeders are doing something wrong by creating new morphs. Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. vmartino

vmartino Embryo

oh and by the way Collard, those green cresteds you posted actually have yellow and brown pigments in them, they lack blue, therefore they are not true greens. i think thats what jayhay is trying to say. and as far as the moonglow goes , its not a specific genetic trait, not in cresteds. Moonglow cresteds are just a line of cresteds with no pattern and a lot of white pigments that have been selectively bred until you get geckos that are almost all white.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. munchkin

munchkin Member

I think you have mis read my posts vmartino (or read them round the wrong way). I first commented about morphs & inbreeding- not altering genes. I know there are lots of pigments present in alot of different reptiles (leos, beardies, pythons, boas etc etc). It is just a shame that some breeders (some- not all), choose to do their selective breeding to bring out these patterns/colours by inbreeding related stock- instead of finding fresh bloodlines to breed with that also have the desired colorations. So I wasn't saying then that certain morphs are created by "genetic messing around"- I was just talking about inbreeding.

It was only after reading jayhay's post about about cresties not having any blue pigmentation that I commented about the messing around with genes.
    IF it is true & they do not have the blue pigment- then genetics would have to be altered to create this colour. Unless of course the crested gecko naturally evolves at some point in the future to carry this pigment (some kind of natural genetic mutation).
    I agree that crested gecko breeders probably don't have the money or ability to alter genes- I was just commenting that to get those colours that is probably what would need to be done.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Seattlesprsonics

Seattlesprsonics New Member

But my crestie looks pretty damn neon green

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. aaron157

aaron157 Member

I have a green female patternless with some yellow fringes. But it is very obvious that the "green" is caused by different layers of colors in the skin, one of them being yellow. Either way she is still very beautiful. I don't think that pictures really do the "green" cresties justice. just my 2 cents!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jimski427

jimski427 New Member

anyone have pictures of TRUE green cresties? not the duller green/brown color which i have... and depending on how fired up she is, she can look green sometimes, and look brown sometimes.... i would like to see a pic of your "neon green" Seattlesprsonics

12. todds_out

todds_out Embryo

So you're saying your crested can look just like the Day Gecko in coloration?

Sorry but I doubt it unless you have pictures to prove this

13. Saucy

Saucy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd like to see some pictures... because I highly doubt it's a crestie.

14. Seattlesprsonics

No, not once did I say that. What I actually meant to say is that his color is like a lime green. He is definately not as green as a day gecko, but he is pretty green. I have old pics which Im having trouble finding, but I can try to get recent pics asap, hopefully within a day or two.

15. Owthatstings

Owthatstings New Member

16. Seattlesprsonics

I just think all this debate is kinda stupid....Yeah, if you wanna be technical and say there isnt a "true green" crestie, that may be true. But to me, green is green, and my crestie, is green. And obviously by the pictures posted, including the ones in the post before mine, prove that a green crested gecko does exist.

17. Saucy

Saucy Well-Known Member

My issue with that picture is that the green is on one side... and it looks like it's from either a reflection or light. NOT green pigmentation.

Seattle, I'm definitely interested in pics. Hopefully you can get some up soon.

18. todds_out

todds_out Embryo

Seattleprsonics..

I would agree that there is some Crested geckos out there that APPEAR to be green but that only proves that and that only, just like on pictures you've seen plus also If you take a look on the pangea website there is picture of a gecko morph named as "Green Fire"

This is a message sent to me by Matthew parks recenlty which explains this

"I'm glad you like my geckos. The Green Fires are actually not green, it is
    an optical illusion created by the brown and yellow colors mixing together
    just right. If you were to take the picture of the greens and put in a
    photo editing software program and manipulate only green hues, you will
    notice that the photo doesn't change because there are no green hues."

"I have been selectively breeding for that trait for several years, and it is
    becoming more refined and predictable every year however about 50% of the
    offspring never achieve the green coloration."

Hope that answers your questions."

Cheers!

Matthew Parks

19. dellessanna

dellessanna New Member

Re: RE: The true green/blue cresteds

Haha, that is what I was thinking. Only low end normals are plain janes. I have several that are brilliantly red, Orange, and a really eye-popping yellow wen fired up.

20. dellessanna

dellessanna New Member

The closest to a true green I have ever seen is Pangea's Green Fires:
    http://www.pangeareptile.com/projects.htm
    They are in the last image on the page.
    Blue crested on the other hand do not exist. >.>
    Contrary to what some people say.
    On the other hand I've seen some amazing lavanders. ;)