The problems of mixing species

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by plmarsg8, Feb 3, 2007.

1. plmarsg8

plmarsg8 Well-Known Member

There are people everywhere that want to mix different species of reptiles and amphibians together to make some sort of jungle for their animals but many of these keepers fail to recognize that mixing species is a horrible idea that can only be left to people that know what they are doing-people that have studied exactly what is needed to be done in order to actually keep these animals healthy while mixing these species. I have summed up what I know so that you won’t try to do this.
    1.One problem is that each individual species need their exact environmental requirements that are found in their habitat. Abiotic factors such as physical characteristics and biotic factors together make up a niche and with specific factors make up single specie’s niche. Species are only able to live in environments that vary accordingly to their specific niche. Even within different environments with the same climate, there are multiple niches that are present. It is extremely difficult to duplicate these factors into a small terrarium and at the same time, keep these animals relieved of stress. Different species need more room to get away from each other to hunt for their own food. Because of this, terrariums need to be very large and even harder to maintain than those of only a single species.
    2.Also, larger cage mates usually “Bully” different species for food or shelter. A large enough difference I size can also lead to the larger of the species devouring the smaller other cage mates. Some animals have defense mechanisms that actually activate whenever it is harmed. This can lead to the injury or even death of an animal in your cage. Different species may not recognize the other specie’s “warnings”. A misunderstanding can lead to an injury for an unexpecting species.
    3.Different species develop differently than species living in another niche. They develop immunities to viruses, parasites and diseases found in their specific niche. Although they may be immune to it, it may be deadly to their coexisting cage mates, who have no immunity towards it when introduced.
    I know that we have all seen different species in the same tank online or at your local pet store but let me tell you that those people don’t know what they are doing. They only want to show off their “Mini-Jungle” or save space to sell reptiles without the least bit concern for the animals’ health. If you really want to appreciate your animal and give it the best possible chance of living Happily, Don’t mix species. Please listen to this information.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Great post, you're totally right there. An example i have seen, relating to anoles, are pet stores keeping them in the same vivs, as long tailed skinks. Even if they have similar care requirements, it's still not a good idea.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. my_baby_anoles

my_baby_anoles Member

The only time I have EVER mixed species, was when I had a water dragon, I had a 60gal setup so that there was a 1 1/2 ft x 2 ft water tank built into the corner of the 60gal...really kind of cool actually if you could see the way it was built...aanyways there were some little fish in the tank (none that bothered or were bothered by the water dragon) and an albine tree frog

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. plmarsg8

plmarsg8 Well-Known Member

The problem is that some people dont even listen to what we have to say. Im just trying to stop them from stressing their animals.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

I pulled this out from anoles, as i've seen a LARGE amount of number of people asking about mixing species lately. It isn't really anole specific, but mixing species with anoles comes up a lot, although i think it'd be better suited in general lizards.

I'm making this a sticky, as i'd like it to be source of information that people can be referred to when they are asking for reasons why species shouldn't be mixed.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. deydey

deydey Member

i feel really idiotic now not considering the consequences im glad i asked before taking any physical action into mixing reptiles. thanks alot guys

12. DaKing25

DaKing25 New Member

I keep a green tree frog with my two anoles. The tree frog is nocturnal so he gets fed on his own. The two anoles are diurnal so they compete with each other but I make sure their is enough crickets for both. So far their hasn't been ay problems. My animals don't even appear to be stressed. Some animals don't get along but mine are doing well I am thinking about splitting them up but I don't have the space or money.

13. kimmie86

kimmie86 Embryo

i do understand what you are saying, i have heard of people keeping beardies, and uromastyx together!!

I will admit i have a chuckwalla and a uromastyx together and they were put together on a temporary basis due to a lighting problem in one of the vivs so temperature could not be made sufficient for either of them to have survived in there

Well they have been in together now nearly a year, all is good they each have a feed bowl and the each have there own hide and they each have enough room to get away from each other, i have had no problems in fact i have been very lucky so much so that my chuck and uro are no inseperable that when i removed the chuck he went mad and escaped and was found sat infront of the uro's viv very stressed, they eat together sleep together and the chuck is very protective over his mate! the uro when the chuck is not around becomes very pale and stressed and goes off her food.

But i agree i dont want to be a hipocrite but i would nt suggest this for everyone

14. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

wow what a nice friendship between chuck and uro :mellow:

15. squishyturtle9599

squishyturtle9599 Embryo

I currently have an armadillo lizard that I inherited from a friend. He or she has a 20 gallon enclosure and usually keeps to itself. My bf and I currently have an empty 50 gallon enclosure that he wants to put a tortoise in. He wants to put them both in the 50 gallon enclosure and both animals seem to be mild mannered. I was wondering where to find comprehensive information regarding ideal habitats or who to ask if it would be a good or bad idea. Thanks for the assistance!

16. rinako

rinako New Member

Completely different species, not a good idea! Tortoises need a large tortoise table or an outdoor enclosure. Aquariums are not good for them.

17. WingedWolf

WingedWolf Member

It's to be avoided whenever possible, absolutely. There is one exception that comes to mind, that I've never heard of any issues with--green or brown anoles (one or the other, not both), and house geckos, appear to be able to cohabitate without issues. There are many reasons for this--anoles prefer branches, while the geckos prefer tank sides and cork bark. Anoles are diurnal, and the geckos are nocturnal. They are the same size, and reasonably non-aggressive. In a large heavily planted viv, they seem to be ok together. I personally consider this the sole exception to the rule, as I've never heard any consistently workable pairings of species other than these.

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  18. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

Like someone said a while ago up there-I too have 2 green anoles and a green tree frog that do absolutely fine together. @WingedWolf, I was thinking about getting house geckos too-but, already have used up most room in the tank. I am positive it is ok to mix some species, given you are completely sure you know what you're doing(that the species are compatible, from the same environment and live together in the wild is the best)At the back of my certified green anoles book-it has a list of species proven to be compatible with them from an expert that had worked with them for a while and wrote the book(among the species is a few other anoles, small frogs, and other small geckos/lizards) If you think about them coexisting in the wild and getting along fine-there really should be no problem in captivity, as long as you're spot on with both their requirements, which should be similar. As with my anoles and frog, they both need high humidity, bark substrate, plants to climb, water(in a dish)which is more for the frog-but even the anoles have used, the anoles need UVB light, and it's suggested for frogs too, it can never really hurt an animal-as long as they don't get too much calcium.
    [​IMG] <---Also, this is the book I have that lists them all-only kind of reptile care books I get are from these people(the Experts at Advanced Vivarium Systems )

19. WingedWolf

WingedWolf Member

I wouldn't mix different species of anoles, as observation of them in wild will quickly show that they do not mix there--brown anoles tend to outcompete and drive out green anoles. It's really sad to see that the native green anoles have been completely replaced in large parts of their range in Florida. In Ft Lauderdale, the only lizards I have seen (and they were abundant) were brown anoles, curly-tails, and house geckos. Not a single native in sight.
    The green tree frogs probably do ok because, like the house geckos, they are nocturnal. I would not keep the green trees with the house geckos. Frogs are actually quite aggressive.

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  20. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

ya, I'm talking about only housing differen't species with anoles(green mainly)-no other lizard or gecko-and they are natively from Hawaii, where tons of them still are. I've never been to Florida, but am going next year-sounds pretty cool they still have all those other reptiles(including alligators too) My frog doesn't do much at all-but, is very active at night. I'd say my male anoles(and even female sometimes)is much more agressive than the frog, that I notice. The frogs are native to where I live and I see them all the time(mostly tree frogs, bullfrogs, other pond frogs, forest frogs, and other ambhibians like salamanders) and I do see them act agressive towards eachother, but not others usually-plus the anole is bigger, mostly tail though...

21. WingedWolf

WingedWolf Member

Interestingly, there are no native species of lizards on Hawaii at all. Some geckos and skinks came over with the first Polynesian settlers, but that was relatively recently. Various other species of lizards have been introduced even more recently (including Jackson's chameleons, day geckos, and more).

Green anoles are native to the Southern US, including Louisiana, Florida, South Carolina, etc. All other species of anoles in the US have been introduced.

The frog and anoles can get along because they aren't awake at the same time, and are comfortable in exactly the same habitat. Things might be different if they were both awake at once, and competing over resources.

22. Em :)

Em :) Embryo

Help I have a male Marbled gecko and I'm saving for a female but I want to keep some other geckos in the same enclosure. It's a sealed glass tank with holes in Perspex lid. It is 38cm high, 36cm wide and 24cm deep... No gecko can escape. It has a heat pad and I spray it with water every day or two. Can change environment if needed coz my gecko doesn't need any specific type. I want another small ish and cheep gecko. I can't afford anything more than say $50. We're not really financially well off... Any ideas??? :|

23. Em :)

Em :) Embryo

Also I am making a styrofoam cliff. What can I waterproof it with? Marbled geckos will absorb stuff through their skin. Don't want to kill him with chemicals. :|