The Perfect Monitor

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by Jaws10A, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Jaws10A

Jaws10A Member

Okay, I've received some advice from a couple friends on the forum. They say that out of all the Monitors, Yellow Ackies are probably the most tame when it comes to handling. And since they are, I'm guessing, widely available at Reptile Show, this sounds like the Monitor I will get.

I have a 4x 2 x 2 foot cage, and love handable, somewhat tame Reptiles. If you want to recommend a different tegu/monitor, please tell me!

What I'd like to know is their basic setup. I choose not to trust other online sources.

Also, how much would these be roughly as babies?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. reptileluver

reptileluver Embryo

Hey, I'm not 100% possitve but there normally around $200-$450, defanity not the most expensive moniter, but also not the cheapest! would you be open to an argentine black and white tegu?
    they make exalent pets and are a "hands on" lizzard! here a link to a place where you can buy moniters & tegus:

http://market.kingsnake.com/index.php?cat=53

you'll probaly have to copy and paste it. Hope this helps!!!!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. MimC

MimC Moderator

Ackies are really one of the best pet monitors out there - with their comparitively small size and relative tameness (compared to many other monitor species). They are relatively expensive to purchase, usually 200-300$.

Check out pro-exotics care sheet http://proexotics.com/care_ackie.html they are extremely good and specialize in breeding monitors and breed a lot of ackies, their care sheet is extremely good.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ikermalli

ikermalli Well-Known Member

Argentine black and white tegus get quite large, they get 5 and a half feet (as I have read, no experience) and need about 8 foot enclosures (again, read, no experience)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Butters1101

Butters1101 Embryo

i agree with whoever said ackies. pro-exotics does have good info on them too. whatever you do dont get a peach throat. not a good one to hold. just ask my local ER

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Butters1101

Butters1101 Embryo

bit again. cut a tendon (not all the way) awaiting surgery. if you get a monitor make sure you know what your getting into.. and dont forget to put on your gloves (i'm an idiot, i had it coming)

12. Crazy4Herps

Crazy4Herps Hooked on Reptiles

I have read a good deal on ackies, and I agree, they are great pets. There is a great article on them in the Reptiles 2009 Annual magazine, which should be available at most pet stores. It's worth a read and has some great pics.

Three ackies can be housed in a 4x2x2. Similar to beardies, they should have a temp gradient from 80-90*, plus a basking spot of 120*. (Some people say 140*.) They need to burrow and also need high humidity, so some sort of soil (eco earth, potting soil, maybe?) is best; at least 8" of it so they can burrow. They should be fed a variety of insects, f/t mice (cut up if they are too large), and occasional ground meats and dog food. I'm not sure about amounts of food.

Good luck! I'd love to see some pics if you get one!