The perfect enclosure competition

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Ralf, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Ralf

Ralf New Member

i want to see the perfect enclosure for a bearded dragon and i will declare a winner. Bring on the pics

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

I don't think their is a "perfect" enclosure and I also don't believe your the best qualified to judge. Maybe a panel of 3 ppl would work better? Or a poll?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. surfrider561

surfrider561 New Member

Not to mention I prefer to use Play Sand for my enclosure.And even though the care sheet on this site written by Cheri Smith herself recommends Play Sand.The use of it would draw a negative response due to its hyped unpopularity..So whats the use...Just my two cents

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. aaron157

aaron157 Member

Instead you could consider just asking people to post pictures of their enclosures instead of a competition, I'm sure many people would be willing to share their pics.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Ralf

Ralf New Member

i was just tryin to have some fun but if you dont want to have a harmless game nevermind

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

mind quoting where it recommends such? I know the 1 says partial playsand is OK but I've never seen 1 recommend it as a entire cage substrate and I know Cheri doesn't use it for more then dig boxes and recommends easier to clean less dangerous substrates.

12. pauliox1

pauliox1 New Member

Besides it isn't hyped unpopularity. It is actually dangerous.

13. surfrider561

surfrider561 New Member

this it taken from Reptile Rooms Bearded Dragon care page..

"Washed play sand that can be found at most lumber stores or department stores is the most recommend substrate for older juveniles and adults in our experience. We have found that using a combination of either washed play sand and reptile-carpet or sand and paper towels works best for us. They have their basking area and digging area in the sand, but the feeding area and cooler portion of the tank is the reptile carpet."

14. pauliox1

pauliox1 New Member

That caresheet is 4 years old and in that respect, out of date. I believe people have pointed that out manytimes and the Cheri is aware that it is out of date. Take Tuxs upto date information. Its more... ermmm upto date.

15. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

Let me quote myself:

now I'll quote your quote of the care sheet:

partial and combination are synonyms.

Cheri does not currently use sand for more then a dig box with dragons. She has told me this directly as has Robert whom has seen her enclosures 1st hand.

The reason I don't like sand isn't just due to impaction risk it is because it is almost impossible to keep clean which is a parasite risk, it can be done but I and many others prefer the easiest and safest method. Plus tile emulates the natural habitat better.

16. surfrider561

surfrider561 New Member

Ah..Thanks for the grammar lesson..And yes if you would like to para-phrase
    the quote you could make it say what youd like to.Such as this..

..now it says what i was trying to point out..Its not my information, im just quoting your sites care sheet so theres no need to be condescending towards me.

17. Riddick

Riddick New Member

How about everyone posts their enclosures...and then someone will make a poll of all the entries and then everyone can vote and who evers cage gets the most votes is the winner?? Let's say you can post pics of your enclosure up until midnight on August 3rd?? maybe??? just a suggestion.....

and instead of calling it a "perfect enclosure competition" call it the "coolest enclosure setup/decoration/creativity" and all animal enclosures can enter (instead of just beardies)

18. pauliox1

pauliox1 New Member

That sounds good to me Riddick :)

19. icyteathunder

icyteathunder New Member

Once again another post turns to a debate on sand....it's like there is no other subject to discuss. Honestly i am ashamed that even moderators continue to prolong these debates. comon folks lets have a healthy discussion of bearded enclosures...and he is right its just a harmless game chill out.

20. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

and as I said it means what it means, I wasn't being condescending I was simply pointing out that she don't recommend it for full enclosures. The debate is less about sand and more about cheris 4 year old advice.

21. pauliox1

pauliox1 New Member

And there will probably continue to be debates on sand until people stop letting advice go in one ear and out the other.

22. Clarkeytml

Clarkeytml New Member

TBH the risks of sand is pretty hyped up a little. Most peope who go on about the dangers of sand dont no one lizard that has died of impaction.I am a member of a few different forums and yet, i have heard of not one lizard die of sand impaction myself, although this is just my view. However i am still strongly against calci-sand and think that it should be took off the shelves immediatley, once again this is my own view.

23. pauliox1

pauliox1 New Member

To be fair, yes Clarky there are lots of people who know people whos lizards haven't died of sand impaction, but I do. I even know a few people who know other people who have had lizards atleast become ill from sand impaction. And thats not just there guess, they all took them to vets had them checked out. I stick by my view on sand. Personally I don't think its hyped up. When people say they use sand and people tell them not to use it is fine. I don't see that as hyped up. Theres no need to risk your animals life for no reason. Theres no pros to sand so theres no reason to use it. I respect everyones opinion.

24. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

Do you need posts about just the BD or would you like some about other herps? Personally I've seen it, though it is more common with babys and juvis as adults usually get help before it becomes a major impaction issue. The issue with parasites still exists. I do respect the opinions of those who think sand is ok even despite all the evidence and no pros of using it I just don't agree. I don't like arguing about it, their are 2 sides and neither of which are about to change their opinions. All I did was point out the wording of the care sheet actually recommends a mix of sand and repti-carpet. I don't agree with the sheet, but it's up to the herp keeper to make their own choice all I can do is state experience and opinions based on it.

25. Hydrosapien

Hydrosapien Embryo

Get on with it

Come on nerds, can't we just get on with it? The guy who started this string just wanted to see a bunch of pics of cool cages, probably because he wanted to get a few good ideas for a cage he wants to build, or perhaps because he's a geek like me that just likes to check out other cool cages and day dream about the next cage he is going to make. Rather than just say "hey, please post some pictures" he tried to spice it up by making it a "competition". He probably just did that hoping it would make more pictures go up, and faster. Well, so far we have 0 pictures, 1 guy who was poo-pooed for trying to generate an interesting post, and 2 pages of dialogue on a topic that has nothing to do with pictures, competitions or cool cages. Thats weak.