The basics

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by foxdemon, Jul 17, 2010.

1. foxdemon

foxdemon Embryo

Hi i was looking to get a baby iguana, but i know little to nothing about them i have experience in raising both bearded dragons and and leopard geckos what i need are the basics to baby iguanas such as enclosure food heating and humidity and any extra information would be appreciated thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ajlista

ajlista Well-Known Member

Well, my dad raised a 17 year old iguana, your going to need a fairly large tank for adults, we had her in a 125, but you dont need to have that big, For adults, i would go min. 55gallon. There died must consist of nooo meeatt no things like protein such as beef chicken etc. They need lots of greens. NO LETTUCE its addictive to them and it has no nutrients or anything beneficial for the iguana. I wouldgo with things such as cale, collad greens, butternut squash, acorn squash, spinach and so on. Also you can feed them some fruit as a treat during the day. Our old iguana used to love bananas, mangos, and strawberries, And you gotta handle them alot and just give them lots of love and care, let them walk around, dont keep them in their tank 24/7 and like every living thing, they need water. Just give hhim so much love, also you dust their food with calcium and vitamins.
    Enjoy your iguana!
    Also, i do recomend looking at some caresheets online, cause im no expert, but i know the basics.
    Have fun
    Anthony

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. foxdemon

foxdemon Embryo

ok so the place i was considering to but the iguana from suggested feeder insects do iguanas need crickets or other insects and i still need heat temps i read that they like it around 85-110 degrees and around a 65% humidity

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ajlista

ajlista Well-Known Member

NO NO NO your iguana should never eat insects, all fruits and veggies and greens no meat, no insects none of that